catch cans and warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catch cans and warranty

Are there grounds where dealers can void your warranty because you have a catch can installed?

What's your experience?

Curious to hear from people who had their's serviced from a dealer and what comments you got regarding :

- catch can
    - ecu remap / tuning (assuming this mod can be detected by service anyway)

Thanks in advance.

πŸ…½πŸ†‡ πŸ…ΏπŸ…°πŸ…ΉπŸ…΄πŸ†πŸ…Ύ

All warranty repairs need to be approved by MMAL, all the Dealer Service Department does is apply for approval on your behalf, this ensures the Service Department gets paid for the warranty repairs they do on your car. Some Dealers are keener than others to go down the warranty avenue, others try the "Its not covered by warranty story but it will cost $xxxx to fix", I suspect they make more money from a customer repair than a warranty repair.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

When I bought my NX new the dealer said in an email that catch can and fuel filter won't impact warranty. Did not ask about ecu remap.
      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite 265/65R17 ATs

Comment

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
        When I bought my NX new the dealer said in an email that catch can and fuel filter won't impact warranty. Did not ask about ecu remap.
        Thanks!

Comment

My dealer said he wished MM fitted them as std equipment. In saying that stick with a quality type/brand like provent etc that has a relief valve for over pressure. If yourcan gets blocked over time and causes blowby to pressurise the sump etc and you have failed oil seals it will be at your cost to repair

Comment

Just a follow up Q on this tread...

I read somewhere that when installing a catch can it should be done closest possible to the crank case / air intake hose to prevent back pressure which causes engine leaks.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by quickbrwnfox View Post
              Just a follow up Q on this tread...

I read somewhere that when installing a catch can it should be done closest possible to the crank case / air intake hose to prevent back pressure which causes engine leaks.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers
              IFF the inlet & outlet hoses were different diameters then having the shortest length of smaller diameter hose might be preferable.

But in reality I can't see it making any difference where the catch can sits.

There's the same flow of gas through the whole length of pipe so the location of the catch can shouldn't matter one iota.
              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

If the length of the hose has any significant effect, you have a lot of blowby leaking past the rings and you have much more expensive troubles ahead of you. I agree with Kingbrown - the actual location of the catch can should not affect its performance. In fact, it would be best to get it as far away from the engine as possible so that it runs cooler and catches more vapours.

Comment

Originally posted by markc View Post
                  ... stick with a quality type/brand like provent etc that has a relief valve for over pressure.
                  Yes.

But remember that the PCV system is an emissions control system, so if the relief valve vents for over-pressure your emissions system is not functioning properly. Technically unroadworthy (not that your insurance company could use it to deny a claim), possibly liable for a fine (do we do that in Australia?), and venting of the relief valve still means you have too much pressure in the crank case, pushing on your seals.

Service the catch can regularly, and watch the relief valve for signs that it may be venting.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by quickbrwnfox View Post
                    Are there grounds where dealers can void your warranty because you have a catch can installed?

- ecu remap / tuning (assuming this mod can be detected by service anyway)

In the engine ECU data is an item called CVN. This is a factory set item for the ECU program, and changes once a remap has been carried out. If it was a MMAL update, the number still changes, but if aftermarket it changes to a unknown variable. dealer has no idea what this means, but we are asked for it on certain item claims and more often than not if it is a performance or economy claim, we submit it automatically.

Silver 2020 MR Triton Sportsbar Towbar EDS

Master Tech at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                      Yep i agree.

I have seen a badly fitted catch can that was piped wrong, and when draining the oil from the sump it came out in trickle until oil cap was removed. I had never seen that before

Silver 2020 MR Triton Sportsbar Towbar EDS

Master Tech at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post

Yep i agree.

I have seen a badly fitted catch can that was piped wrong, and when draining the oil from the sump it came out in trickle until oil cap was removed. I had never seen that before
                        Could that be a result of hose(s) forming a trap for oil and effectively blocking the ventilation system (similar to a P Trap in a plumbing system) ?
                        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Pipe length and distance is irrelevant when plumbed in before the turbo which is on constant boost with diesel engine.
                          02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X