Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT265/60R18 Options

Hi all,

So it’s time to replace the tyres on my NX I have the factory 18's on. I have been going over all the LT options in the stock 265/60R18 and thought this might help some others and try and get some 1st hand accounts of the tyres.

BRIDGESTONE
    DUELER A/T D697
    LT 265/60R18 114S

KUMHO
    ROAD VENTURE MT51
    LT 265/60R18 119Q

YOKOHAMA
    GEOLANDAR G015
    LT 265/60R18 119S

BFGOODRICH
    MUD TERRAIN KM3
    LT 265/60R18 119/116Q

BFGOODRICH
    ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2
    LT 265/60R18 119/116S

COOPER
    DISCOVERER AT3LT
    LT 265/60R18 119S

COOPER
    DISCOVERER S/TMAXX
    LT 265/60R18 119Q

MAXXIS
    MT772 RAZR
    LT 265/60R18 119/116Q

MAXXIS
    AT811 RAZR
    LT 265/60R18 119/116Q

DICK CEPEK
    TRAIL COUNTRY EXP
    LT 265/60R18 119Q

RADAR
    RENEGADE RT+
    LT 265/60R18 119/116Q

I have had the KUMHO MT51 on my NX for the last 2 and bit years I have found them to be extremely noisy lots of vibration and you can feel every tread block touching the road at low speed. They have been good in the wet and in the dry for on road grip they have been great off road. however now that they are at the end of their life I am finding them quite slippery. The Tyre wear hasn’t been great I have 2mm to 4mm left on the tyres after 36,000km.
    Last edited by Poite91; 12-12-20, 02:05 PM.

Went through this exercise about two years ago, I did not want MTs so ended up with the BFG KO2s which Bob Jane had for $370ea. The vehicle is not the daily drive so only have 15K km in that time, about 12K km of this towing a 1600kg camper trailer. All good so far, no problems with noise, in fact the Pajero is quieter than the wife's VW Jetta which, with the sports package has a lowered suspension and a harsh noisy ride, wouldn't have a clue what tyres are fitted possibly Continentals.
    Also available are
    Falken WILDPEAK AT3W 265/60R18 114T.
    Which like the Bridgestone D697 isn't really an LT tyre. There is a bit of discussion on this forum about the Falken Wildpeaks.

Comment

I have just fitted Dunlop ATG3s 265/60R18 114S strictly not "LT" but they are what was on my nx when I bought it 18 months ago. Not noisy on road and aired down, quite suitable for reasonable dirt tracks. The tread is not real "luggy" so decent mud might be an issue. Can't comment on durability as I don't know how many k's were on the original set. Have had this lot on for just over 5000 ks and noticed a bit of wear when rotating them last week. Mind you they only had 9.5mm tread depth new so might not be a long term proposition. They cost me the princely sum of $260 a corner!! I actually asked the supplier to double check the price when he quoted me that, but he said Dunlop must have had a promotion on.
      2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, more to come...

Comment

I had BFG KO2s since new and did 105k with them over 5 years, with probably another 5 to 10k left in them. Whilst not too bad new, trouble was they had become very, very noisy. I have now just put on Cooper AT3s. Not quite as aggressive but much, much quieter. I am and, more importantly, the hand brake is, very happy.

Comment

chunkier they are the tougher they are, but noisier, and turn more pig like as they wear.

I loved my BFG KM3's but don't think I'd buy them again. They were great for smashing over cricket balls out on the gibber, and not bad in the rain, but after they had gone off 1/3 new the feedback for general life was too much. Wobbly steering wheels, noisey, and feel every lug at low speeds.

Tread pattern plays its part but really tyre pressures are king fo rme. Even a set of HTs will get you a long way up a track if you have them pressured right. I have found by using the 4psi rule over the years with 10K rotation has accumulated in best traction and performance with best $ per kilometre for longevity. Its a bit of a pain to work out initially, and rotating is dull, but after that your set. Plus you know you are getting the best out of the tyres and making the most of something largely we still do nothing with but bury or store.

I found with the psi rule the fronts stay they same, its the rears that are adjusted for heavier loads.

Comment

Nice list. Thanks.

All of these tyres have massive specs meaning they are all more or less equal to 98% of us :
            • Weight : from 114 to 119 that's a lot kilograms (1250kg to 1360kg PER tyre!)
            • Speed : from Q to S that's a lot km/h (160 to 180km/h)
            • Type: AT or MT ... IMO that's the choice between versatile-and-average-in-everyhing or tough-looking-but-impractical-on-road
            Everyone has different uses, opinions and budgets but I would go for an AT tyre on special that is a not limited serie and can be found in any shops. I would go Bridgestone D697 or Yokohama G015

PS: I have been caught once with BobJanes selling special to BJ Maxxis tyres and when one died they did not do it anymore. Also I don't think about km/$ because it is impossible to estimate and also a good and grippy tyre on road will lose rubber (a non grippy one will last longer but more likely to skid ;-). Pick your poison. There is no perfect choice, there is no tyre review that tested the same tyres in the same conditions for more than an hour, meaning everyone guess/choice is as good as everyone else ;-)
            NP MY05 DiD

Comment

Originally posted by tomlola View Post
              Nice list. Thanks.

All of these tyres have massive specs meaning they are all more or less equal to 98% of us :
              • Weight : from 114 to 119 that's a lot kilograms (1250kg to 1360kg PER tyre!)
              • Speed : from Q to S that's a lot km/h (160 to 180km/h)
              • Type: AT or MT ... IMO that's the choice between versatile-and-average-in-everyhing or tough-looking-but-impractical-on-road
              Everyone has different uses, opinions and budgets but I would go for an AT tyre on special that is a not limited serie and can be found in any shops. I would go Bridgestone D697 or Yokohama G015

PS: I have been caught once with BobJanes selling special to BJ Maxxis tyres and when one died they did not do it anymore. Also I don't think about km/$ because it is impossible to estimate and also a good and grippy tyre on road will lose rubber (a non grippy one will last longer but more likely to skid ;-). Pick your poison. There is no perfect choice, there is no tyre review that tested the same tyres in the same conditions for more than an hour, meaning everyone guess/choice is as good as everyone else ;-)
              It's a stab in dark that's for sure,

I've got Dueler 697's not that old, so far on road manners very good in my opinion.
              Noise, not too bad at all, but fair bit of tread on them.
              But i'm a ute driver & only owned Pajero since July so i wouldn't listen to me
              Bloody things got heaps of grip!

I'm not convinced they will be my next tyre, look sexy though, low profile things & soft in the wall.

I'll pay i get that, but i feel Coopers AT3LT in a 265/65R18 will give me a stronger more durable sidewall.
              Unless i come across some 17" rims that is

The S/TMaxx would give me a 3 ply sidewall, tough & grippy, heap of tread, heavier but how big is the trade off on road???

I wonder if they'll give me S/Tmaxx's on trial & i can swap for AT3LT's if i don't like them, i'll do a you tube clip for them
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

I really think that if you are keeping the standard diameter 60 series tyre then it is pointless going to a serious off road Hybrid AT/MT tyre. A 60 series 265 tyre has a sidewall height of 159mm so you are limited to the amount of pressure reduction possible before damaging the the tyre.
                Unless you have a height restriction with carparking or another reason, then a 65 series 265 tyre with a sidewall height of 172.25mm would be a better choice if you are venturing off road and reducing tyre pressures significantly.
                There is also a larger range of tyres to choose from in 265/65R18.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  I really think that if you are keeping the standard diameter 60 series tyre then it is pointless going to a serious off road Hybrid AT/MT tyre. A 60 series 265 tyre has a sidewall height of 159mm so you are limited to the amount of pressure reduction possible before damaging the the tyre.
                  OJ.
                  I think OJ's comment, is the most appropriate to me personally.

When i look at my Dueler 697's 265/60R18's came on the vehicle, they look sexy, i like the way they look, reminds me of my wives Mazda 3 Astina which has low profile tyres.

Plenty of tread on them so no rush, but if i can find a set of 5, Pajero x 17" rims at rite money would be best for me personally as they'll ride much better, more use able in off road terrain of any type

Or i think a 265/65R18, the 65 aspect ratio will give me similar sidewall height to standard 17" tyre fitment, no need to change rims/ compromise & 1/2 taller of the ground.

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Unless you have a height restriction with carparking or another reason, then a 65 series 265 tyre with a sidewall height of 172.25mm would be a better choice if you are venturing off road and reducing tyre pressures significantly.

OJ.
                    Thanks OJ, Do you have any thoughts on minimum pressures before potentially damaging the sidewall? Because of this I've been conservative only airing down to 25 psi for rough gravel and 18 psi in sand?
                    Wazza

Comment

Originally posted by Wazza999 View Post

Thanks OJ, Do you have any thoughts on minimum pressures before potentially damaging the sidewall? Because of this I've been conservative only airing down to 25 psi for rough gravel and 18 psi in sand?
                      Wazza
                      Hi Wazza,

Your conservative air down pressures are sensible for a low profile passenger construction tyre, speed is the other variable to reduce. As the tyre rotates it flexes out of shape and then back into shape, this flexing cause the sidewalls to get hot and can lead to tyre failure.
                      The lower the tyre pressures the great the degree of flexing and the greater amount of heat generated.
                      The greater the speed the more flexing for a given amount of time.
                      A standard tyre at 775mm diameter will rotate 410x per km.
                      At 10kph - 1.1417x per second.
                      At 20kph - 2.2834x per second.
                      At 30kph - 3.4251x per second.
                      At 40kph - 4.5668x per second.
                      At 60 kph - 6.8502x per second.
                      At 80kph - 9.81336 per second.

Tyres can only lose a certain amount of heat and this is based in the surface area of the tyre and the temperature differential between the tyre and the ambient air.
                      Not only does the tyre get hot but also the air inside the tyre and this temperature will only drop when the tyre is cooler than the air and by heat absorbed by the rim and then dissipated to the ambient air.

If you are stuck in deep soft sand and need to drop the pressures down further to extract yourself, and this is sometimes necessary, then topping up the air soon after is a good idea, not an hour and 10kms later when you get back to camp.

Inflating tyres with Nitrogen does not help, it is just a waste of money especially on a 4wd.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

I've BFG KO2s. On something like the OT towing at 60-70kph I had the rears at 28 front 25 psi. On the L Eyre PAR 25psi all round, Max speed 60 kph often <20. On one section I was overtaken by a butterfly! Perhaps given the 116 sidewall rating would 2-3 psi lower on particularly bad tracks be advisable?

Comment

Hi all I would like to say thank you for contributing. Lot of good points and info in one spot. Please let me know if I have missed any LT tyre options in this size.

Went through this exercise about two years ago, I did not want MTs so ended up with the BFG KO2s which Bob Jane had for $370ea. The vehicle is not the daily drive so only have 15K km in that time, about 12K km of this towing a 1600kg camper trailer. All good so far, no problems with noise, in fact the Pajero is quieter than the wife's VW Jetta which, with the sports package has a lowered suspension and a harsh noisy ride, wouldn't have a clue what tyres are fitted possibly Continentals.
                          Also available are
                          Falken WILDPEAK AT3W 265/60R18 114T.
                          Which like the Bridgestone D697 isn't really an LT tyre. There is a bit of discussion on this forum about the Falken Wildpeaks.

Wazza you have a good point a 114 load rating is not classed as in LT in this size. I have heard of others having puncture problems with the Bridgestone D697 so wasn't on my radar but it was listed as LT so I added it to the list without looking at the load rating. I would just like to say the puncture problems is hearsay and I have no firsthand accounts. I also hear great things for on road performance.

OJ.

OJ first of all the info you add to this forum is fantastic and well informed.

I have a 40mm lift in my NX by adding the 13.25mm to the side wall will technically put me over the overall max lift of 50mm in SA well for the first 10,000km. I am also concerned with the extra load on the torque converter. I do have a plan to add a lock up mate in the future to help with transmission temps and longevity.
                          ​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Comment

I've BFG KO2s. On something like the OT towing at 60-70kph I had the rears at 28 front 25 psi. On the L Eyre PAR 25psi all round, Max speed 60 kph often <20. On one section I was overtaken by a butterfly! Perhaps given the 116 sidewall rating would 2-3 psi lower on particularly bad tracks be advisable?
                            If you have BFG KO2 LT265/60R18 then the single wheel load should be 119 load index, if 265/65R18 then 122 load index.
                            Both these tyres a 10ply rated LT construction tyres so the pressures you are running for the speeds you are travelling a fine. Pressures should be cold inflation pressures before you start driving for the day.

As the day and the tyres warm up the actual tyre pressures will increase as will the tyre temperature, how much will depend on the ambient temperature, the starting tyre pressures, the road surface, the weight you are carrying and the speeds you are travelling. As the tyres warm up you may find the ride getting harder or you are bogging down more, this is because the tyre pressures have increased due to heat, no problems with reducing the tyre pressures another 3 to 5 psi when hot but make sure when you stop for the day you replace what you removed. If you do not there is a chance as the tyres cool down overnight you will find an under inflated tyre or worse still a completely flat tyre in the morning because the weight of the vehicle had been resting on a under inflated tyre and the bead has partially popped.

Running an internal TPMS that measures and alarms both pressures and temperature is good insurance as it provides early notice of tyre problems that if go undetected can result in unrepairable tyre failures and even cause an accident.

OJ.

Comment

After looking around I have found 2 more tyres in the stock Size in LT and have added them to the list. I have now done another 2000km on the Kumho MT51 and had to change them. I almost pulled the trigger on a set of Cooper AT3 LT. But then I saw someone's post on FB of the Yokohama Geolander GO15 in LT. Was impressed with the tread pattern as I had only seen them in passenger construction. They have a buy 3 get one free deal so saving $370 was worth a go after reading the reviews on them. Yokohama do 2 type's of GO15 passenger construction and light truck the tread pattern is quite different please see link. https://youtu.be/N6VaA9Q3kYk

First impression are really good on road quiet and good on a little bit of dirt that I have driven on so far. No idea off road yet. I will update later after putting some km on them so I can give an informed review.
                              Last edited by Poite91; 12-12-20, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X