Sold the NP... what's next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold the NP... what's next?

After 12 years of loyal service, I sold my beloved NP 2005 DiD. But what's the next one?
    1. A NX pre 2016 ? (for the DPF thingo and something else I forgot)
    2. A 2021 NX ? (I don't buy new
    3. A disco4 for the nice 3rd row seat with huge windows
    4. A prado (too expensive)
    5. A pajero sport (boot is too small but definitely qualified as nice and quiet for the wife)
    6. Another car I dunno : a MU-X
    7. A landcruiser LC200 or LC300... I am kidding I am not rich enough, nor is the garage big enough to open the boot once parked
    What are your thoughts or experience? I am not into UTE so that's not part of the plan.

Right now, I feel getting another NX because everything I learned over the years on my NP is knowledge I can transfer onto the NX (mods and co). Thanks to this forum. I even kept my rusted bushskinz rock slider, just in case.
    NP MY05 DiD

No need to worry about the DPF in the Paj mate. Mitsu have got them down pat now.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Originally posted by tomlola View Post
      I even kept my rusted bushskinz rock slider, just in case.
      So deep down you knew a pajero was the right choice

I have had a couple of Landcruisers, hiluxes and a navara. Have driven prados and Ford rangers a lot at work. When the time came a couple of years ago to get a comfortable, capable, reliable 4wd, I looked at dads nt. I was impressed. A few months stalking the forum and I was convinced. I would ask pajero owners at the servo or supermarket car park "are pajeros any good?" Every single one was very happy, most said " this is our third" or fourth and occasionally fifth!!

I got a 2016 nx and I love it !!
      2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, more to come...

Comment

Yeah it’s a tough choice. Why did you get rid of the NP?
        what are your requirements?

I had a fantastic 5yrs from my NP, only sold it to get a Ute. If I was in the market for another wagon Paj would be on the short list. The only negatives for me is the rear suspension when towing and the fact the NX has the same bones as the NM...
        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Originally posted by Nab View Post
          the fact the NX has the same bones as the NM...
          But those 'bones' have proved themselves over 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
            No need to worry about the DPF in the Paj mate. Mitsu have got them down pat now.
            Dave
            Ah ok, maybe DPF is not the right work. What's the thing people always talk about on the forum all the time... and also at the same time I think the gearing ratio changed post July 2016 or Nov 2016.
            NP MY05 DiD

Comment

I think you were correct in thinking DPF. They started again with the MY2017 models in late 2016 but we haven't seen any bad reports on them in here as far as I'm aware. I seriously considered changing my NX this year but there's nothing out there I want. yes, the Disco 4 is nice to drive but I'd be seriously concerned about reliability when travelling across this great country. Like everyone else you've spoken to, the only issue I've ever had after 117,000klms was a flat starter battery. You can't go past another PAJ.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nab View Post
                Yeah it’s a tough choice. Why did you get rid of the NP?
                what are your requirements?
                My NP "issues":
                • My issue : Started to have rust due to beach work and it needed some maintenance (new clutch and tyres soon, bushes / rear suspension dramas)
                • Wife's issues : Wants automatic, not comfy, too noisy, no rear camera, ride too harsh (HD lovells at the back my bad + LT tyres) - all issues I grant as well but could live with it.
                • Why sold? I couldn't justify spending a few grands to fix her up when I could invest this money into a newer, nicer and quieter car. I have been postponing the sell for 3 years, at one point I had to let go and please the co-pilot as well . Also it's our only car. I don't plan to have more than one car.
                Requirements
                1. 7 seaters
                2. Decent boot (when camping) or for the occasional bulk buy.
                3. Automatic
                4. Rear camera
                5. Can be bought on the 2nd market. (Looking at something around the 75k to 100k kms since I only do ~10k/year despite being our only car - we cycle to work otherwise)
                6. Bonus: plenty of pockets to unload and store safety / handy gear like in the NP but I think it's impossible to get in modern car.

Right now, as an interim solution, I have a 2017 Outlander (petrol/"4wd"). And I can say that while I did not really care about comfort, I can feel that I am definitely less tired after long trips in the Outlander. Times flies way quicker in the outlander (you feel you are quicker at home). Going from the rough NP to the outlander makes you realise what ~20 years can do. Adaptive cruise control is a-m-a-z-ing, I'd never though this was so handy (I don't think the Pajero 2021 has that unfortunately). The rear camera is indeed nice and the inside of the car is so quiet and smooth. The CVT automatic is boring but overall nice. The NP was a tractor / truck but I loved the fact the whole car was shaken on start.

I also know that if I want something similar to the "modern" Outlander 2017, I need to go Pajero Sport because it's virtually the same but I am not a big fan because it's too small as a 7 seaters or if I go camping (4 people).Wife is a big fan though, obviously ;-)

Unfortunately, there isn't any silver bullet. If ONLY the Pajero had the inside of the Pajero sport, it would be a no brainer.
                Last edited by tomlola; 18-11-20, 07:39 AM. Reason: Typo
                NP MY05 DiD

Comment

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                  I think you were correct in thinking DPF. They started again with the MY2017 models in late 2016 but we haven't seen any bad reports on them in here as far as I'm aware. I seriously considered changing my NX this year but there's nothing out there I want. yes, the Disco 4 is nice to drive but I'd be seriously concerned about reliability when travelling across this great country. Like everyone else you've spoken to, the only issue I've ever had after 117,000klms was a flat starter battery. You can't go past another PAJ.
                  Thanks Ian for your comment. But entertain me, IF you had to choose something else than a Pajero, what would you take? (because you would end up in the same situation than me, it's hard to choose isn't it?
                  Last edited by tomlola; 18-11-20, 07:45 AM. Reason: typo
                  NP MY05 DiD

Comment

My 2nd best bet is v8 Patrol. It doesnt suit my need, but it is a good car imo.
                    My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzz View Post
                      My 2nd best bet is v8 Patrol. It doesnt suit my need, but it is a good car imo.
                      I forgot an important requirement : "Economical". I think the latest V8 Patrol isn't. Nor from a price point of view and even less from a petrol point of view ;-) It's just another LandCruiser that I want to have but does not make sense to own ;-)
                      NP MY05 DiD

Comment

Originally posted by tomlola View Post

Thanks Ian for your comment. But entertain me, IF you had to choose something else than a Pajero, what would you take? (because you would end up in the same situation than me, it's hard to choose isn't it?
                        i was thinking of a ute simply for towing capacity with a payload being generally around 1000kg. But the Paj tows what I need even though it's right on the margins. If the Triton didn't have that large overhang I might have jumped because like the Paj, they have the best 4WD system of them all.

2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Almost up to 50,000 in my 2018 NX......can't say I've noticed any problems with the DPF. I wouldn't even know when it's doing a regen.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X