Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60000 km service

Hi folks,

I've been reading the pajero forum since i bought my 2017 4 years ago.
    I just had the service dept ring me and suggested that i had my fuel injectors cleaned for $250, as he said they are starting to show signs of a tarry build up.
    I've only just done 40000 kms.
    I need your opinion as i smell a little bs. I'm not a seasoned mechanic, but it does strike me as a little opportunistic based on the limited kms i have travelled.
    I said i'd leave it to the next service, but based on the price of this service and my instinct, i think i'll get my car serviced elsewhere in 12 months and the foreseeable future.
    Thanks for your time

Smell BS? I'm surprised you haven't drowned in it.

My guess is they would put a $15 can of injector cleaner in the tank.

The only way to see if they have a tarry substance is to pull them out and I doubt they would do that.

Don't think about getting it serviced elsewhere. Just do it.

BTW. 340,000 on our NS and original never been cleaned injectors.

Comment

70,000 on mine now and never had the injectors cleaned. I always use BP Ultimate of Caltex Vortex fuel though. Tarry build up heh Don't bother if it's running fine.
      dave
      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

At 60000 they wouldnt pull the injectors out... unless you have a Pajero sport???

And if you do have a sport, the tarry build up is quite normal, and they should be cleaning that off as part of the service when they refit the injectors.

Sounds like they are full of BS either way
        White 2018 MQ Triton Sportsbar Nudge Bar Towbar EDS

Comment

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post

The only way to see if they have a tarry substance is to pull them out and I doubt they would do that.

100% Agree. If bullshit was music that service department would be a symphonic orchestra!!!
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
          If you take life too seriously you will never get out alive....

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the honest/ no restraint feedback.
            I'm feeling a little numb all round these days, and so tired of the greed so much of the time.
            I had an Outlander as a courtesy car i booked. Very smooth zippy little car, and it made the Pajero NX feel a little prehistoric and rough, but she's a heavy diesel and will last me another 20 years if i'm good to her.
            Keep up the great work

Comment

I had an NL 2.8 litre and a NP 3.2 litre, one did 240,000 and the other did 280,000 and neither had anything done to the injectors.
              My current NX still new at 52,000 kms

Comment

In their own document doesn't mention anything about injectors (except small injection quantity learning)...

PAJERO-MY16_intervals.pdf
                Attached Files
                Last edited by crispus; 1 week ago.

Comment

Oldest "service" trick in the book!
                  Find something that doesn't need doing, ring customer, put them on the spot & pressure them to approve it immediately - sadly it works in many cases.
                  But short term thinking by those dealers, as it often costs them a customer's repeat business, as in this case.

The good thing these days, is we can ask them to send photos to our phone whilst still talking before making a decision on the "badly worn brake pads", etc - perhaps that is why they are now choosing items that can't be photographed?

Always decline unless they send evidence it is unsafe to drive, then check it later.
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

I also ask them to supply the parts they removed. While it is not going to help in an injector clean process it will help with the likes of brake pads etc etc.

Wifie's camry had that happen with her. I actually dont think they look but more saw the pads were not replaced for the klms on their system. What the stated was the pad are getting low and should be up for replacement soon. The bit they didnt realise was I had put brand new performance pads in it only a week before. The back pedaling was humourous when they heard this from her lips. needless to say it was the last dealer service that was done
                    95 White LWB Panda coloured GLS TD28 running 18psi 2inch lift, 2 inch body lift, factory rear LSD maxxis bighorn muddies 25,000klms after total engine rebuild - Club reged Currently around 307,000klms

Daughters - 2003 NP Exceed Silver Bone stoke getting a engine rebuild after a Major overheat (previous owner) - My current project

Comment

Originally posted by oldn64 View Post
                      I also ask them to supply the parts they removed. While it is not going to help in an injector clean process it will help with the likes of brake pads etc etc.

Wifie's camry had that happen with her. I actually dont think they look but more saw the pads were not replaced for the klms on their system. What the stated was the pad are getting low and should be up for replacement soon. The bit they didnt realise was I had put brand new performance pads in it only a week before. The back pedaling was humourous when they heard this from her lips. needless to say it was the last dealer service that was done
                      Yes, the trend is to schedule jobs based on a nominal time or kms, rather than when the work is actually needed, eg, $70 pollen filters every year, even if not dirty, $90 fuel filters every 2 years, even if you have only done 10,000 km not 30,000km, $500+ valve adjustments every 2 years, even if only 10,000km traveled since the last one, etc, etc. Over servicing is rife!
                      Manufacturers, dealers & many independents all promote this approach - perhaps they have a conflict of interest? A good dealer or mechanic will work with you to determine what is actually needed - yes, they do exist & it is worthwhile to find one. The advantage of this approach is that there may be some items that actually need more frequent attention depending on how the vehicle is used & they can be identified and included, with the savings by not doing unnecessary items more than covering the cost. The end result is a much better 'tailored" service at no extra cost.
                      One size does not fit all!
                      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

"Value Adding" has been the bane of consumers for at least 30 years. "Will you have fries with that?"

Why do new vehicle owners get their servicing done buy the manufacturers agent?

1.Supposedly the agent has a full complement of fully trained ethical staff. Not uncommon to find one qualified staff supervising "semi skilled" labour from offshore.

2. The vehicle is under "warranty" and the owner doesn't want to compromise the terms of the warranty. I pity the latest owners that are "saddled" with 10 years warranty. With all that entails, What a burden.

Solution(s):
                        1. Don't have warranties and let the reputation of the manufacturer and their product stand the test of use and time. It would be the responsibility of the owner to use and service the vehicle according to it's design and purpose. If it fails, market forces will see an evolution of design and manufacture quality.

2. OR if there is a warranty, have free servicing including consumables for the entire warranty period. Add the warranty cost to the capital cost of the vehicle.
                        Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers.

Comment

Hi CSB, i note you are in WA (so am I) - which dealer are you referring to?

Comment

Our NS was purchased from one dealer and had the first free BS 'service' and all warranty at another 55k away.

Apart from the mentioned first free service all other services were done at one private mechanic. 340,000k later with no genuine oils, coolant or filters used it's still performing as it should.

Never had a problem having repairs done under warranty.

When you work out how much you will pay for the 10 year 'warranty' you need to ask is it worth it.

An oil and filter change costs me $190 and that includes $100 my mechanic charges and that includes a quick safety check (at 75 doing it myself is not possible). I buy the oil on special at Supercheap and Fleetguard oil filter from Cummins.

Comment

Working...
                            X