Introduction - bought one of the last batch of Pajero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction - bought one of the last batch of Pajero

This is a culture shock for me as I am coming from owning Patrols for the last 30 years. Current petrol GU Patrol is 23 years old and the petrol shorty I bought new in 1992 have both served me well. Never had a problem on the road that I couldn't fix myself in all that time. I have always done all my own maintenance. But the GU and myself are getting too old for under car yoga, so I took the opportunity to buy a proven platform with the last Pajero.. It had to be auto transmission which is another change.

In Pajero land, I know nothing except that I have signed up a few days ago and get it delivered next week. This morning I drove it around the block, so I still don't know much. We like outback touring, mainly with a camper trailer. All my old 4wd mates got old and bought Prados and caravans and so we do solo trips these days. The last trip was August 2019 before the lockdown when we broke a spring on the trailer at Innaminka after 1500 Km of dirt via Mootwingee, so we returned home using a bush mechanic fix to the trailer, instead of Birdsville and on up to the Gulf.

I expect it will take a while to get the new vehicle sorted for touring. I know I will need bash plates, a bit of a lift, a set of off road wheels and tyres (I will keep the factory wheels and tyres for between big trips) as well as all the trailer stuff. This will take time, so we will do one last trip in the Patrol if we are allowed out of the state.

I look forward to accessing the collective wisdom residing here. From what I have read here you seem to be a helpful and friendly bunch. You are one of the main reasons I bought a Pajero.

Bruce

Welcome along Bruce. Should be all the info you need here matey to set her up as a good tourer. Enjoy the Paj.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Originally posted by MY22 View Post
      This is a culture shock for me as I am coming from owning Patrols for the last 30 years. Current petrol GU Patrol is 23 years old and the petrol shorty I bought new in 1992 have both served me well. Never had a problem on the road that I couldn't fix myself in all that time. I have always done all my own maintenance. But the GU and myself are getting too old for under car yoga, so I took the opportunity to buy a proven platform with the last Pajero.. It had to be auto transmission which is another change.

In Pajero land, I know nothing except that I have signed up a few days ago and get it delivered next week. This morning I drove it around the block, so I still don't know much. We like outback touring, mainly with a camper trailer. All my old 4wd mates got old and bought Prados and caravans and so we do solo trips these days. The last trip was August 2019 before the lockdown when we broke a spring on the trailer at Innaminka after 1500 Km of dirt via Mootwingee, so we returned home using a bush mechanic fix to the trailer, instead of Birdsville and on up to the Gulf.

I expect it will take a while to get the new vehicle sorted for touring. I know I will need bash plates, a bit of a lift, a set of off road wheels and tyres (I will keep the factory wheels and tyres for between big trips) as well as all the trailer stuff. This will take time, so we will do one last trip in the Patrol if we are allowed out of the state.

I look forward to accessing the collective wisdom residing here. From what I have read here you seem to be a helpful and friendly bunch. You are one of the main reasons I bought a Pajero.

Bruce
      Gday Bruce,
      Welcome and enjoy the Pajero. I came from GQ Patrol and Landrover now have 21 Pajero as well as keeping the older d2, great knowledge here and useful info.
      Rob

Comment

I brought Pajero this time last year, she's a used one though.

I know bout as much as you Bruce,

One thing i know is they been making this generation for 15 years, she's got quite a history as well.

Some say this vehicle seen the birth of the Prado, to compete with this SUV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero

It is by no means the prefect vehicle & none are, but bang for your buck, "acceptable" reliabilty & value, i thought it was bit hard to go past meself, hence i brought one.

Plenty of mods out there, helpful chaps on this forum as well as you say.

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Welcome Bruce, it’s a great site with lots of very helpful and knowledgeable people here. I just picked up my new NX last week so still getting to know it, I to have had some patrols over the years and have had some great fun in them as well as my fair share of landrovers, I have a soft spot for the Landys and I don’t think I can ever be without one for too long.
          Pete

Comment

Quite a lot of new forum members on here due to buying one of the last ever Pajeros!! Nice one mate, and welcome to the forum / club. It's a great resource for sure and everyone is super helpful.

I'm on my second Pajero, first was a 3.8L V6 (MY05) and now I'm on an MY16 diesel with 120k km on it and loving it.

Something I realised the other day when I was reading about the 300 series Land Cruiser.... our NX Pajeros will never be superseded... (trying to look on the bright side)

Comment

Welcome and cograts on the new purchase. I've had my NX for 6 years and done 125k. It has never let me down from the WA coast to FNQ over dirt roads, in the high country and as a road car around town. I thought about upgrading last year but I seriously could find nothing I liked better or even close to what my trusty Paj can do.

We 'll be away too, up to Arnhem land with a group from our 4WD club as soon as the lock down ends so maybe we'll see you out there. Happy travels.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Hi Bruce. Agreed - this forum has plenty of knowledgeable, friendly people willing to share what they know. I've had my NW Paj for just on 3 years now. Bought it used because I didn't know if I liked Pajeros or not. I do! The cargo space is huge plus mine hasn't put a foot wrong in 152,000 kms. I'm now trying to buy a new NX.

I think Mitsi has made a big mistake in discontinuing the Paj. Should have kept up to date with technology and also updating the styling. Adding a decent advertising budget would have keep the Paj in front and centre of buyers as a good option. Having said that I quite like that the car is "old school". A bit like me.

Comment

Welcome Bruce,

I am on pajero number 1 having owned Landcruisers, hiluxes, and a navara (which I still have). When looking for a capable, comfortable and reliable 4by a couple of years ago I was convinced a prado was perfect...until I drove dad's nt. A lot of research on here sealed the deal. I love the paj.

This forum has so much knowledge and folks here genuinely want to help. It's a fantastic resource which guided my purchase and has helped me do all sorts of "improvements" to my pajero.
                  2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, more to come...

Comment

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the worlds largest, friendliest, politest, and some would say the most knowledgeable Mitsubishi 4wd Forum!
                    Most questions can be answered and problems can be solved by the collective knowledge and experience of the forum membership, this forum can help you save money on maintenance and also not waste money (if modifying your Pajero), by providing you with information so you can make informed decisions.
                    No point in reinventing the wheel!
                    The forum search function and Google search, with "Pajero Forum" in the search question will direct you to the threads about your questions.
                    There is no need to ask the question in multiple sub forums as all sub forums are regularly monitored.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everybody. I look forward to catching up. I promise to spend time searching before asking annoying questions. However because of my ignorance of all Paj things, I will probably still ask annoying questions....

Comment

Welcome Bruce, as a recent Pajero purchaser myself I can say there is plenty to read about here. With so many build threads to read through it makes choices a little easier.

Enjoy your new ride.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. I see you are from Yeppoon. We love spending a while camping at 5 Rocks. Long way from home in Donvale though.
                          My head is spinning from reading this stuff. I had forgotten how much effort goes into getting a tourer set up as its 13 years since I set up the Patrol.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X