Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Rack options?

Hi All,
    I have a 2015 GLS that i'd like to put a "low profile" roof rack on, happy to remove factory rails if needed.

I would like a simple platform, does not need sides on it, to strap a Oz tent or two, a spare wheel sometimes, some tracks etc, the normal stuff.

I know about 100kg limit, my main focus is to keep total height to a minimum, for car parks etc. (pre 4x4 was/it Defender 110, lifted with rack, need about 2.4m to get in anywhere!)

thanks in advance, pictures would be great if some one has a good solution!

cheers

Just be aware that attaching a flat platform rack to the stock rails will drop it to 80kg.. (reason for this is you have to include the weight of the rack on the factory rails).

If you want low profile rhino tracks with flat rack which you can attach the rhino legs direct allows the full 100Kg.

Gus.
    VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
    NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

I’ve just put a new Rhino platform on mine – identical with the one in these photos of BrisVegas’s vehicle ... this is the setup Gus is talking about in his post, that takes 100Kg.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...=16927&page=20

I measured the difference between the height of the top of the old OEM rails and the top of the Rhino platform, and the platform only adds 20mm. to the height of the vehicle. NOTE that I removed the old OEM rails and installed the Rhino tracks in the channels in the vehicle’s roof.

Cheers

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

I'd definitely recommend getting rid of the factory rails, it's one thing I wish I had done as now it's going to cost me a lot more to go that way.

The main options I know of are:
        -Rhino pioneer platforms
        -Front runner (Wind Cheetah) Platform
        -Tradesman Oval flat roof rack
        -Custom

Jaram may also do a flat platform? From my looking around Rhino and Front runner both use their own tracks that rivet to the roof, Everyone else seems to use Rhino's and then just attach their tray/platform to the Rhino legs.
        2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

Oh, I forgot to make you aware that to remove the OEM rails, you have to drop the roof lining ... I posted this a week or so ago, but don't let it put you off.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44813

Geoff
          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Roof Rack

I have an ARB setup, I changed the std rails to ARB, which was relatively easy and bolted on the carrier, quite low and looks tidy.

I had taken this setup off my NT and was a quick and simple transfer

Comment

Originally posted by mals351 View Post
              I have an ARB setup, I changed the std rails to ARB, which was relatively easy and bolted on the carrier, quite low and looks tidy.

I had taken this setup off my NT and was a quick and simple transfer
              You wouldn't have a picture of your setup? Did you have roof rails on previously? And did you have to have to drop your roof lining to fit the ARB tracks on?
              was Pajero NS 2008

now GU Patrol

Comment

Originally posted by abw View Post
                And did you have to have to drop your roof lining to fit the ARB tracks on?
                Dropping the roof lining is NOT necessary to fit the new rails in the roof channels. If your vehicle doesn't have OEM rails, then you won't need to remove the lining to fit any new system. You only need to take the lining down to undo the bolts that hold the original Mitsubishi rails on, if they are already fitted. If you just have a flat plastic/aluminium cover on the channel at the moment, you can pop that up with a screwdriver - it's held there by plastic clips. The OEM rails sit up about 65mm. higher than the roof on three posts and run the full length of the roof channel.

Here is an old photo of my vehicle with where you can see the rails on the roof.

Cheers

Geoff

Comment

Hi,

The rails are fine if you just want to put light to medium stuff up there. We use it for our Hobie, Portabote and Oztent, sleeping bags, camps stretchers, Treds, etc. Not all at the same time, mind you! Still fit under shopping centre carparks.

Here is our Pioneer Platform:

Cheers,
                  Sally
                  SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

I removed the rails and fitted a Rhino track mount before our holiday. Heaps better than using the platform with the OE rails. The OE rails are not very strong where the OE roof mount leg joins the aluminum rail. The hardest part was removing the sunvisor clips. I do recommend fitting new hood lining clips and sunvisor clips. If the Paj had no rear aircon the hood lining would not need to be removed due to no ducting in the way.
                    Attached Files
                    NT GLS Manual.

Comment

A mate of mine ordered one of these for his MU-X. They can be made to suit your needs. Might be worth a look.

http://www.tradesmanroofracks.com.au...ero-roof-rack/
                      Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

I'm looking at the pioneer platform for my NP exceed with OEM rails.
                        Not sure I want to go to the length of removing them. Are you guys saying that when clamped onto the existing rails the most amount of weight on the platform will be 80kgs?

Also, I have some existing Rhino Sportz bars. Will the legs from these fit the pioneer or do I have to buy the vortex legs? I'm guessing that the Vortex legs are the same as they seem to be the newer version?
                        2004 NP Pajero Exceed 3.2 DID

Smartbar | Pioneer BT/GPS Stereo | General AT LT 265/70/16 | Bonnet Protector | BTA HD Tow Bar | Rhino Sportz Roof Rails | Roof Basket | Sunseeker Awning | Thomas Air Compressor | ARB Dual Battery Kit | 2 Inch West Coast HD Suspension | Reversing Sensors | 22" Light Bar | BD Intercooler Bash Plate and Sump Guard | Boo's Transmission Guard | Roley's Skid Plate | Airtec Snorkel | Bushskinz Sliders | HPD Catch Can

My Pajero Build Page

Comment

Originally posted by Isa paj View Post
                          I removed the rails and fitted a Rhino track mount before our holiday. Heaps better than using the platform with the OE rails. The OE rails are not very strong where the OE roof mount leg joins the aluminum rail. The hardest part was removing the sunvisor clips. I do recommend fitting new hood lining clips and sunvisor clips. If the Paj had no rear aircon the hood lining would not need to be removed due to no ducting in the way.
                          What feet have you got on yours Glenn? It sits nice and low!
                          'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by BrisVegas View Post
                            What feet have you got on yours Glenn? It sits nice and low!
                            I used the RLTP legs with 1 x LHSPAIR. It does sit nice and low but it is too low to chamois the roof properly when washing it.
                            NT GLS Manual.

Comment

Sorry to hijack your thread, but it's related.

I just ordered a Kings Awning, now which cross bars do I need to make sure it fits?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X