DAB Radio & Tunnels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAB Radio & Tunnels

I've had my NX Pajero since June and have been putting up with my DAB radio going silent inside any of the Sydney tunnels. I just wondered if others are experiencing the same thing?

Yep and not just in tunnels. Too many tall buildings can have it stuttering and in SE Qld it dies out when passing Caboolture when heading north from Brisbane. (At least in my Paj it does).

Comment

The ONLY reason that AM and FM radios work in tunnels is that the tunnel builders have installed transmitters for all the major stations that retransmit signals which they have picked up on receivers outside the tunnel.

Don't do this to make your tunnel trip more enjoyable - they do this because it provides an excellent emergency communications system, by over-riding the audio on all channels they re-transmit.

I'm guessing they haven't set up to retransmit Digital stations because there are so many of them ! I'm assuming they could use the same Leaky Coax that they use for FM (200MHz vs 100MHz)
      Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Originally posted by Phree_ed View Post
        . . . in SE Qld it dies out when passing Caboolture when heading north from Brisbane. (At least in my Paj it does).
        Yep - Digital Radio is only in Capital cities currently - unlike Digital TV, where all Analogue transmitters have been replaced with Digital.

The 200 MHz signals don't go over the horizon like AM does.
        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

All the digital channels are actually multiplexed on the one carrier. Maybe Sydney has a couple of carriers due to the number of stations carried on DAB. It's not really possible to do to DAB what they do with the FM & AM carriers in tunnels. And DAB is nowhere near as resilient as FM & AM. And with the compression used it sounds rubbish.

Pat
          16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
          10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing drop outs. Its a shame the new technology can't beat the old ones.

Comment

There are some settings in the menu that you may wish to check out. I have set mine to show [DAB-FM] in the top right corner of the display. I believe this setting allows the unit to use FM when the DAB signal is insufficient (refer to the handbook for details). There is also the option of manually selecting FM on the home screen (I do this when out of DAB range in rural areas).
              Pajero NX MY16 GLS

Comment

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                There are some settings in the menu that you may wish to check out. I have set mine to show [DAB-FM] in the top right corner of the display. I believe this setting allows the unit to use FM when the DAB signal is insufficient (refer to the handbook for details). There is also the option of manually selecting FM on the home screen (I do this when out of DAB range in rural areas).
                My Kenwood will automatically swap from DAB to FM when reception drops out, but will resume playing the previously selected FM station, which may not be the corresponding DAB station. It will not automatically sync the same two stations from two different bands. Also some stations don't
                have corresponding sister stations on other bands.
                99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

DAB in tunnels

For the weekly commute through the Sydney harbour tunnel I just use the ABC radio Listen app on the phone and use Bluetooth audio.

Works great all the way through as well as on the highway.

Given the rubbish AM reception in this truck, and internet practically everywhere, I rarely bother with AM or FM anymore.

Peter
                  2016 NX GLS, ARB Bullbar with Smittybilt Winch, Snorkel, Bushskinz Bash Plate, Tranny guard, Rock Sliders and Rear Bumper protection, Michelin Latitude Cross AT Tyres, Rear Air Bag and Old Man Emu 2" Lift and Sports suspension.
                  Pulling a TVAN Murranji.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X