Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shopping Trolley View Post

Interesting concept Jason. Spare battery instead of sub-tank or jerry cans which you only need to attach/install for remote touring but can be left at home when not required. Hopefully Mitsubishi are listening.
    It's not a silly idea in theory, but like all god theories it's in practice that counts
    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Personally, I think the Ineos Grenadier announcement of a hydrogen-powered FCEV is the closest I have seen to my next 4wd.

BEV for crossing the Simpson? Don't make me laugh.

Hybrid / PHEV? Possibly, but I suspect the FCEV will overtake them before I'm in a position to buy.

To the best of my knowledge, a FCEV isn't a whole lot different from the Hybrids that were all the rage before Tesla came along. They use a fuel source to generate electricity, that charges a battery and/or drives the wheels.

PHEVs work on a similar principle to Hybrids, except (I believe) they have a bigger battery to travel further on pure electric, and are designed for charging the batteries from an external source e.g. the grid.

A hydrogen FCEV could also adopt a larger battery pack and external charging point, to add pure EV range, but can add range much faster than a BEV ever will, and doesn't need to cycle the batteries as harshly - so battery longevity should improve. For what I want to do, I believe a FCEV ticks all the boxes - I just need somebody to sell one (and then I need the money to buy one, but that's a different issue...)

Yes, for urban commuting, BEVs all the way. But too many inner-city elites don't seem to understand that Tullamarine isn't on the edge of the Outback, and that there's a huge number of Australians living outside big cities. I'm not sure BEVs will ever take off in regional Australia - but hydrogen FCEVs (light and heavy) seem the obvious answer to me.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

BEV for crossing the Simpson?
        I can only presume BEV, this is the type i need lots of extra water to drink, couple kg's extra of beef jerky a spare set of batteries & many solar panels, roof & bonnet possibly, 40amp charger along with large set of balls for remote travelling ??

I think the other thing i'm a tad sceptical & i'm probably wrong which is fair enough, but with current electric vehicles the figures being touted about are "best case scenario" generally speaking, not carrying a GVM + loads or even heavier tyres as an example

I'll learn as we go i suppose?

I think i agree little bit with your thoughts, although i've told wife, 4-5 years time possibly might be no brainer, EV car, if light loads?

Aussies are the big polluters, one of the biggest of them all per capita of the planet apparently, so we need to change as that'll fix things by about 1.5% i think it is when we reach nett zero 2050.
        Last edited by Jasonmc73; 4 weeks ago.
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

My guess aa EV 4x4s evolve will probably have a range of X, accessory makers will create the long rang battery. Can't see a manufacturer putting a 1200km battery in as standard when Y will do. Hopefully you can configure it to give you 1000+ km so recharging it on tour is less of an issue.

Andrew Forrester from Fortisque has teamed with JCB. Reckon these two are onto something.

ScoMo is up for Hydrogen and shows more enthuasism for it over EVs roll out. Perhaps because a hydrogen motor can be a rejigged fossil motor. Qld have hedged bets both ways rolling out charge stations and a commitment to hydrogen. Toyota and Kenworth are working hard on hydrogen. But all european major truck manufacturer are working on E along with car manufacturers. Toyota have just made a full EV.

Tesla said yeh, we'll make truck, than Elon focused on space. His trucks on paper look awesome, but they need to get off the paper. You can't tow with a Tesla car or if so you can't go far. The dead weight kills the battery pretty hard.

Its a Betamax V VHS type race, wonder what the CD will be let alone Digital.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
            CSIRO doing good work on this & Japan for one very interested, hence we in QLD have a hydrogen minister of government.

You also have a minister for hot air, Anna.
            We certainly do....But given a choice between minister of hot air or minister for the Ruby Princess debacle....we got a better deal..
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
            Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post

We certainly do....But given a choice between minister of hot air or minister for the Ruby Princess debacle....we got a better deal..

Comment

Now now Dicko.

NSW 88% double vac. QLD 65% double vac and are now giving $10 vouchers to buy a bloody hamburger to be vaccinated. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

Wait for the borders to open in December and QLD could be hit with 1,000s of Delta cases with the unvaccinated.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post

Wait for the borders to open in December and QLD could be hit with 1,000s of Delta cases with the unvaccinated.
                    So true....Thats why I call it the virus of the stupid!!!

And back on track. The design of the new car is basically the same as many other manufacturers. They are all starting to look like clones..
                    Last edited by Dicko1; 4 weeks ago.
                    Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Funny bugger mate but that is so true.

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

BEV for crossing the Simpson? Don't make me laugh.

Too late. They did it in 2 Zooks with solar panels.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/expe...olar-challenge

With advances in photovoltaics and battery storage, it will probably be possible for everyday Aussie's in a few years.
                        2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 BFG A/T, dual batteries, 35mm lift TJM suspension, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

Technology is screaming ahead. Its just a pity Australia is backwards in its embracing of i. If we had govts that were really interested in the country and not their incomes and greedy mates we would be much further up the sustainability ladder. One day we will see quick change fuel cells like the swap and go gas bottles at Bunnings. Not too long ago that people thought you,d never replace a horse and cart.
                          Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Originally posted by Shopping Trolley View Post

Too late. They did it in 2 Zooks with solar panels.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/expe...olar-challenge

With advances in photovoltaics and battery storage, it will probably be possible for everyday Aussie's in a few years.
                            What i noticed about his Zook she doesn't have 10 ply tyres fitted, awning for shade or water and it does appear on face value he seems to have a few panels with him?

7 Days water & food for his crossing per person & in my opinion he also had a support crew, i reckon he didn't carry his own sleepin bag meself

So if the clouds rolled in he would want to allow say 14 days to be safe supplies per person & hopefully if you get into trouble or clouds didn't rack off the rescue crew can travel in the cloudy conditions to come & save me .

It's about estimate 5,000- 6000 k's trip for me roughly speaking from home, around, across & then home again, i can see he went West to East, less load on the Zook i guess.

I guess the work around is LED lights, little ones, travel at night & charge all day, hope for good weather , watch out for skippy though as he's quite active & payload of bullbar will definately be out?

To me she needs a bit of a Tinker before unassisted i would borrow the Zook to cross

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

What i noticed about his Zook she doesn't have 10 ply tyres fitted, awning for shade or water and it does appear on face value he seems to have a few panels with him?

7 Days water & food for his crossing per person & in my opinion he also had a support crew, i reckon he didn't carry his own sleepin bag meself

So if the clouds rolled in he would want to allow say 14 days to be safe supplies per person & hopefully if you get into trouble or clouds didn't rack off the rescue crew can travel in the cloudy conditions to come & save me .

It's about estimate 5,000- 6000 k's trip for me roughly speaking from home, around, across & then home again, i can see he went West to East, less load on the Zook i guess.

I guess the work around is LED lights, little ones, travel at night & charge all day, hope for good weather , watch out for skippy though as he's quite active & payload of bullbar will definately be out?

To me she needs a bit of a Tinker before unassisted i would borrow the Zook to cross
                              If adventure was easy and without risk, it wouldn't be an adventure.

It was a long time between the first 4wd crossing the Simpson to today where we can do it in our everyday cars (albiet with a bit of tinkering). It won't be that long until we are doing it in our everyday EVs. But then everyone will be doing it and we will be looking for the next remote travel destination to get away from the crowds again.
                              2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 BFG A/T, dual batteries, 35mm lift TJM suspension, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X