No announcement yet.

Unbreakable in the outback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've wondered the exact same thing about dpf oldn64. I think it's more basket swapping/daylight savings type thing-no real difference in the end, but there are less particulate emissions most of the time, so when they get checked for emissions they look better. Same sort of deal as stop start vehicles, look better emissions wise, but how much fuel do they actually save when is only when the vehicle is idling? I haven't done the sums, but I'm thinking that is more than offset by the more expensive batteries that are replaced more often

Comment

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
      I've wondered the exact same thing about dpf oldn64. I think it's more basket swapping/daylight savings type thing-no real difference in the end, but there are less particulate emissions most of the time, so when they get checked for emissions they look better. Same sort of deal as stop start vehicles, look better emissions wise, but how much fuel do they actually save when is only when the vehicle is idling? I haven't done the sums, but I'm thinking that is more than offset by the more expensive batteries that are replaced more often
      Dont forget the higher priced starter motors that drive the car off to start with to therefore start the motor... :S yes agreed... my parents have a Mazda 6 with it.... I have disabled it (which the dealer will not do but attempts to fix it each time it goes in. The car now has a clause on it that the programming of the system will cost them if it is done again without written authority. They think it is a safety issue we want to not need to do a $1100 starter motor, thanks all the same.) Dad has measured it......if saves 0.2L per tank if in start stop. hmmmm err that equates to approx 3 klms on a highway, city it is not that much.
      95 White LWB Panda coloured GLS TD28 running 18psi 2inch lift, 2 inch body lift, factory rear LSD maxxis bighorn muddies 25,000klms after total engine rebuild - Club reged Currently around 307,000klms

Daughters - 2003 NP Exceed Silver Bone stoke getting a engine rebuild after a Major overheat (previous owner) - My current project

Comment

Stop - start technology is all about reducing emissions during the test in the laboratory.

Official fuel economy figures, which we all know are optimistic, are derived from the laboratory emissions test.

With my Golf GTD, on my daily commute, the best economy ever recorded by the onboard computer was when I was manually doing the stop-start at traffic lights - about 20% better than typical. Most times, doing manual stop-start, indicated consumption was not discernibly different from typical. I quickly stopped bothering.

Technically, it makes a difference to fuel consumption. Is the difference worth the extra complexity and battery consumption? I doubt it.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          Stop - start technology is all about reducing emissions during the test in the laboratory.
          Stop-start technology has to be the biggest farce in the name of reducing emissions. It's like saying if you keep your eyes closed, you see less and thereby lesser evil in the world.
          Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

While I am a keen motorhead, I am not brand conscious. I will buy the model that specifically meets my needs after much research - irrespective of manufacturer. My challenge with some vehicles ( especially Toyota) is that the price and reputation exceed their real value.

We have a 1998 Toyota Seca in the driveway with over 300k kms that starts on the first key turn, never lets us down and uses no oil. But I will not buy a Prado or Hilux! I have a Pajero that I am perfectly happy with even if it is an underpowered donkey - not much different to a Prado, and after watching this dangerous handling test of the Hilux ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoHbn8-ROiQ) I do not see myself in one even after they "Fixed" the issue with revised tyre pressures and ESP calibrations...( PS Toyota has the same issue with the current Rav 4..)

Comment

I used to work in fishing tackle retail. So many customers would say "I only buy Shimano bro". But this one suits your particular needs better for the cheapo price you want to spend. "But it's not Shimano bro"

Comment

This thread is an example of why I love this forum. Good people, great thinking, lively and informative dialogue.

Originally posted by bennyb29 View Post

Stop-start technology has to be the biggest farce in the name of reducing emissions. It's like saying if you keep your eyes closed, you see less and thereby lesser evil in the world.
                AND - great analogies
                NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

Originally posted by Mark RSA2AU View Post
                  But I will not buy a Prado or Hilux!
                  A bit like the reason people buy Pioneer racks, reason people flock to Toyota is, everyone else does.

The power of brand recognition & runs on the board, how they currently are batting isn't even considered.

Hilux & Prado engines pop more pistons than Pajero's eat oil coolers .

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X