X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geometry of a cruiser and off set swivel hub beerings info needed

Hi guys
    this is the story of my cruiser 94 80 series 1hzj80
    have trouble with my steering ever since I bort it, I took out the 2'' lift and now its back to factory std
    every thing in the front of this cruiser has been replaced with new parts and I mean every thing
    Now the drama I have is, if every thing is in specs like wheel alignment and castor why does my cruiser still drive like crap, I have tried 3 separate sets of wheel and doesn't change the way it drives
    spoke to a steering guy today and he was saying ,forget about numbers and look at the geometry of the cruiser to get it to drive properly
    ok I can understand that, not, any way he was saying that I may have to take it to a guy in gympie and see about putting OFF SET SWIVEL HUB BEERINGS on it to make it drive properly but in doing this I will chew my tires out
    factory says castor should be set at 3deg +- 1 which is in specs with Toyota
    toe is 0.08mm total o Toyota factory specs
    so how can I do the geometry on the cruiser if all the specs are right and every thing checks out and how the bloody hell do I get it to drive like it should with out chopping my tires
    now if any one know about this sort of thing please let me know
    if you have used the off set beering please talk to me as this doesn't sound right
    ph me if you like 0407745591 to chat $2,100 later and not better off
    Regards Peter
    used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
    now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
    bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
    SKYPE NAME possum.58

Peter, are you running wheels and tyres that are factory spec in width, diameter and offset?

cheers, old Jack.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

265/75R16's from memory. He has tried 3 sets though Jack
      You would expect some change between them if it where the wheels.
      Know where your headed though. Taller or wider tyres can change the way a 4by handles no matter the state of alignment.

I'll ask around other 80's people.
      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Can you elaborate on "drives like crap" Peter? Need more info to help.
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Hi peter
          there is a forum called offroad80s it is just for us special people that own them although i own one myself i cant give you anymore advise on what you already have. but i can bet my bottom dollar that someone on that forum will have the answer you are looking for it maybe worth joining up .
          cheers

Comment

Peter, just been looking through the problems you have been having.
            Back in October you mentioned you had taken out the adjustable Castor bushes, and fitted Std ones, and that the vehicle drives sweet.
            What has changed since then?

The W/A specs from Maryborough you posted are close to specs. If anything the vehicle may have a very slight pull to the right, but it would be so slight that you would probably only notice it on a near perfect road.

I would be surprised if fitting offset swivel hubs will give you any more adjustment than what the castor bushes did.

From what I have read it seems that your main problem is that the steering doesnt return to centre. Is this correct??

Bryce77, Dont mention the 80 club to him. Hes been there.
            And, Peter: Still waiting for a reply to my email I sent you a year back.
            Formerlya NH and a NL GLS, both raised, Dual Batteries,
            Free wheeling hubs, Bullbars, Snorkels etc.

Recently picked up another NL that's knocked about. Might be a new project.

Comment

hi daryl, ans syl, how the bloody hell are you
              we had dramas with the computers and now I got a new one
              will pm you daryl
              well guys it turns out that the new remanufactured steering box was put together wrong, turns nice to the left but drags to the right got it changed and back on today and the steering is heaps better but will let you know after ive driven it for a bit to see if it has settled down or weather its still going to dive all over the road
              Regards Peter
              bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
              SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

You had to ruin it for me, didnt you!!!
                Why?, if it was driving "sweet" something you had done or something had packed it in. My next suggestion was to be, to get the box looked at, my guesstimate was it might be binding.
                My few minutes of fame, taken away from me.

Hi Peter

Comment

Make it harder for us Peter.
                  NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

I even went to the dark side.

http://forums.overlander.com.au/view...hp?f=5&t=79660
                    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                      Make it harder for us Peter.

Comment

Sorry guys, lets see , would you believe all the dramas was a bent diff on both sides
                        but any way , ive put the free wheeling hubs back on but one wont turn to lock at all and the other one goes nearly all the way to lock
                        question is
                        can i take the hubs off free to lock, with out it flying apart, slide it on so its right and then turn it back to lock and bolt it up
                        and thanks for the help and advise
                        Regards Peter
                        SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X