Yet another tire thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another tire thread

So I have a 2017 Pajero Sport Exceed, bought new. Intention was always to take it off the black stuff. Mostly to explore the high country and find places to fish. As it turns out, it's mostly been used to drive up to the snowfields on day trips during winter. Intention was also always to upgrade it, but there hasn't been a need till now. So still on the original highway tires.

So this week I finally followed one of those 4x4 high country guides and picked the easy trip in the region I was in (Sawmill Settlement to Tolmie). Book said it was a good first trip and suitable for AWDs. It did say not in the wet too, but how much harder could it be? Turns out, a lot (though given the target market of these books and this specific trip, they maybe should have clarified this a bit more).

So on the first track - Plain Creek Track, which is all fine and quite fun. Getting close to the northern end of the track and I hit a rather steep muddy descent with a flat section in the middle. Let's just say I slid straight down the first section and came to a stop in the middle. Fortunately the wheel ruts kept me nice and straight. It was probably the adrenaline, but I then just went straight into the second (shorter) section, since there was no chance of turning back and we were near the intersecting road.

Many things I did wrong. Didn't air down the tires, didn't use hill descent, didn't aim to use the ruts (though fortunately slid into them). Probably a lot of other things wrong too. I bailed after that, because if an "easy" trip is willing to throw that at you, I need to be better prepared.

Went to a highly regarded 4x4 shop/service centre yesterday to ask about what could be done with the Sport and I got the impression they were barely interested. If it didn't have a Toyota badge, forget it.

So, with all that I want to start the upgrade path. First step will be decent tires. I'm thinking of keeping the current set for winter duties (long distance travel, plus I have chains for them). That means another set of rims - might as well go 17" if I can find the right ones.

Anyone know of aftermarket rims that work?

How hard is it to swap a set of wheels by yourself?

I have a Hayman Reece tow bar with the standard space issues for the spare. I'm thinking 265/70/17 or 265/65/18 if I use the current wheels. This sound okay?

I'll continue the upgrade path at some point after this. Probably bash plates, then bull bar, suspension (lift) and winch as a package. But that's for later. I assume the issues with the Exceed and bull bars has now been sorted out?

Originally posted by bugeater View Post
    How hard is it to swap a set of wheels by yourself?[/B]
    Not hard. Just like changing a flat tyre X 4

2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge MX 1.4, Uniden 8080s, more to come...

Comment

Yet another tyre response

If you are just looking for a play set of tyres for the High Country and local 4wd tracks then a set of cheap mud terrains on 17" steel rims would be the most sensible option. Tyres get a very hard time in the HC and if it is not you outback tourer or daily driver then any brand of mud tyre would be huge improvement on HT tyres off road. No need for the expensive US or Japanese brands if you consider the tyres are a short term consumable item so something similar to this would be fine;
      https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/ac...sert-hawk-x-mt
      Plenty of cheaper less known brands but be aware the quality of the tyre will drop off significantly as the price goes down. The real cheap and nasty tyres can be almost impossible to balance even after adding a huge number of wheel weights!
      A quick goggle search and I found Bridgestone MT's normally over $500 a tyre for $340 a tyre, bargain!
      https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/tyr...r17/171063?q=4

I would match these with 17" factory steel rims from a 2016 onward Triton, these rims will clear the brake calipers and be stronger than most aftermarket steel rims and fit the centre hub without the use of spacer rings.
      If you want/need to use aftermarket steel rims, get "mine spec" as these are much stronger than the el-cheapo $120 fake sunraysia "off road" rims that are sold, these rims damage easily off road. Size 17" x 7.5" P35 or P30 offset with 67.1mm hub bores or hub spacer rings to suit. You really want the vehicle weight to be taken on the centre wheel hub and not the wheel studs.

However if you want a 2nd set of tyres and wheels for off road adventures further afield, like outback touring when fully loaded then I would choose 17" factory alloys from 2016 onwards Tritons fitted with a quality hybrid AT/MT tyre, Cooper ST Maxx, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, Goodyear Dura Trac, Yokohama G016 X-AT, Nitto Ridge Grappler , Kumho MT51 or similar.

The factory underbody guards are very soft and thin metal so these easily damage off road and offer limited protection to expensive engine and driveline components, Koan, Bushskinz, ARB, Boos, Brown Davis, etc, etc all have a range of quality underbody protection just need to do your research on what will suit your needs and budget. Aftermarket underbody protection is essential, damage an intercooler and this will cost between $1000 and $1500 to replace!

The PS has a great low range gearing and the 8 speed auto so use this to your advantage, use manual mode and hold the gear you select, rather than let the AT computer decide what is best, you can make a better decision because you can see the track ahead!

Factory suspension is average and a suspension upgrade to suit your required loads will increase ground clearance and rear suspension travel. Need to be careful that this does not takeaway too much from daily use comfort.

As you have already found out, most 4wd accessory stores are not interested in the PS, they will only sell you what they have and makes the most money for them, after all that is their business, Much better to learn from actual users that have first hand experience and have outlaid their hard earned cash, so this form can provide you with all the information you need to make your own decisions.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply OJ. I was considering whether to just got full bore and go the muddies, since the road tires will be on when I do the most k's. But I'm a bit torn, since if I go the ATs, I'd probably go more for the more off road oriented ones like the Cooper S/T Maxx. They should be a bit more appropriate for the trip on the black top to the fun stuff.

I've also looked for the MQ Triton alloy rims and availability is a bit sporadic. All too often it's also just a set of 4 as well. When I did some research years ago, I was looking as rims from CSA Direct, since they look the part, they stick their neck out and say which rims are suitable for the Sport, plus they claim a "Lifetime structural warranty" for what it's worth.

I'll admit I have no idea about wheels and tires on a car. My experience is with motorbikes, where 5,000 km out of a rear tire is doing well.

Comment

Just to close this off - rather than go through the hassle, I ended up just getting some CSA Raptor Large Cap 17x8 with +25 offset rims. Wanted +35 but CSA suggested +25 as they clear the calipers. mind you others had put on +35s.... anyway. Chucked on some 265/70/R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They are meant to be more of a AT/muddy hybrid and have lots of good reviews. I'd have gone the trail grappler, which is a MT, but they were a bit bigger for some reason and I was worried about fitting it in the spare location.

The setup fits fine with no rubbing at all, so that's good. The shop refused to install the spare though, since the center bore is massive compared to stock (110mm) and they didn't trust one of those centering rings could hold it. I hacked something up from some 1/4" steel as an adaptor, but also have something on order from a tractor shop in Queensland that makes plate adaptors for Tritons. We'll see what works best. The spare just sat in the back when I took it out for a spin on some tracks on Sunday.

As to how it feels. Probably psychological, but feels a little higher (even though in reality it's only a 1cm or so). Does handle a little differently - not in a good way, but not terrible. A bit more noisy at highway speeds, but not really that big a deal. A bit more sluggish on takeoff, but I have a superbike, so all cars are slugs. Since I carried the four stock tires and the one new spare back from the tire fitters in the boot, I could compare the weight when I loaded and unloaded. The new one is heavy, whereas the stock tires aren't too bad. There seems to be a big difference in weight, which presumably means strength, but also fuel consumption.

Comment

I've now got the Triton tyre adaptor plate and it seems to let you mount the aftermarket spare just fine. I actually cut an adapter out of steel myself, which works, but you really need to use a hub ring to make sure it stays centered, which is just another addition. The one I bought has some protrusions that keep it centered without a hub ring. So I'm using that one.

For those looking for an adapter for the Pajero Sport/Triton spare tyre winch, if you contact the guy through the website at https://tramtech.com.au/ and ask about the Triton spare wheel carrier plate, he should be able to set you up.

Comment

Sounds like you are on your way. I'd forget going to the majors for any accessories unless you own a hilux, cruiser, patrol, or want a our size fits all or none answer. Far better off educating yourself reading forums to see what others have found works or doesn't. Its your car specific and can be cheaper. Be carful though, the accessory trap is deep and endless.

Deals on compressors, snatch straps, fridges etc can be found, just ask what others have donn. Eg Super cheap is good for King springs when on sale, but just know what you want first by being prepared from educating yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by bugeater View Post
                So I have a 2017 Pajero Sport Exceed, bought new. Intention was always to take it off the black stuff. Mostly to explore the high country and find places to fish. As it turns out, it's mostly been used to drive up to the snowfields on day trips during winter. Intention was also always to upgrade it, but there hasn't been a need till now. So still on the original highway tires.

How hard is it to swap a set of wheels by yourself?[/B]
                Consult your operators manual & identify your jacking points, paint them yellow if you can't remember them
                Please make this a must do, it will be a fundemental useful learning experience.

This you tube clip may be helpful, don't go nutz tightening them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxuJczLZnvg

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X