Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY19 Sport Exceed - Rear Springs

Hi All, New to the group here!

I've got a MY19 Exceed and I'm looking at the stiffer rear springs by Kings but I keep getting mixed messages.

I'm just after some extra load ability and not height. Tow a 17ft Jayco and have a 140kg ball load

Can anybody help me regarding the KCCR-38 and the KCRR-23?

From what I've been sold the 38's are stiffer but no higher and the 23's will raise the vehicle?

Any help and photos would be much appreciated!

Cheers
    2018 Pajero Sport Exceed - Stock Standard + Falken AT3 Wildpeaks

The Pajero Sport rear suspension is identical to the PB/PC Challenger so there is a lot of info on the PB/PC Challenger sub-forum about rear coils.

From data I have been able to piece together;
    Factory Coils have a free length of 390mm long and a progressive spring rate of between 2.36 and 3.54kg/mm
    King KCRS-23 375mm free length and 3 to 4 kg/mm progressive spring rate.
    King KCRR-23 395mm free length and 3 to 4kg/mm progressive spring rate.
    King KCRR-38 400mm free length and 2.4 to 4.1kg/mm progressive spring rate.
    King KCRR-23HD 395mm free length and 3 .7to 5.1kg/mm progressive spring rate.

All of the above coils will increase the empty ride height over standard.

140kg towball load will add 210kg of rear axle load plus what ever you load in the rear seat/s and cargo area.

What ever coil you select I strongly suggest changing over the internal rubber coil assist cones, the factory units are too short and too soft and do very little to add spring rate and protect the coils in deep compression. Peddar PN 5899 AEON cones are a proven replacement and for $125 a pair are well wort the cost.
    https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...rubber-springs

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Thanks Old Jack!

So looking at what you've said, would you recommend the KCRR-23 or KCRR-38?
      I would think the others are a bit overkill for my application?

Thank You again, your knowledge is incredible!
      2018 Pajero Sport Exceed - Stock Standard + Falken AT3 Wildpeaks

Comment

Hi BPJ,

Until recently I was recommending fitting KCRS-23 coils as the best upgrade for PB/PC Challenger and Pajero Sport rear suspension for those that need to carry some modest rear axle loads both in rear area cargo and/or towball down loads up to 250kg but do not wanting an increase in empty ride height too much.
        This has been a tried and proven upgrade over the years with may owners reporting excellent results, however in recent times there have been a few reports of these coils dislocating at full suspension droop, however I have not seen this first hand. The problem seems to be when longer aftermarket shockers are fitted.
        My thinking has changed and maybe the KCRR-38 is a better choice of coil for those wanting a small rear lift but an increase in load carrying without too much lose of comfort or ride height.

I have spring specifications supplied by Kings, but only the free length and spring rates and not load vs compression graphs. The King rear coils are progressive rate and this is desirable because the spring rate increases as the load increases, however the rate of progression is not lineal and I can only calculate a lineal rate of spring rate progression with have the actual springs to measure or even better to do a test fitment and load test.

From my calculations and assumptions;
        The KCRR-23 will ride way too high when unladen, be a higher spring rate through out the whole coil travel but will carry the loads much better than the factory coils.
        The KCRR-38 will ride at a similar height when unladen to the KCRS-23 so about 15mm +/-5mm higher than the factory coils (when new), but carry slightly less loads to the KCRR-23 and KCRS-23. As these coils are 15mm longer in free length and have and a lower initial spring rate they should sit flatter on the lower coil spring pad and be less likely to dislocate at full droop with aftermarket shockers that do not exceed 525mm eye to eye extended length.

I continue to recommend the fitting of Peddar PN 5899 Aeon rubber spring assist cones in preference to airbags or the factory spring assist cones.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

I've just had the KCRR-38s and PN 5899 rubber springs installed today. Initial lift to back is indeed 15mm and should settle lower.

I'm also towing a 17ft Jayco journey outback pop top. With stock springs the rear sagged about 30mm (empty caravan), I'll hook it up and see where it all lands soon.

I do have a 30kg battery, drawers and fridge in the back so mine won't be apples with apples.

edit: hooked up and it dropped only 20mm.
          Last edited by olliej; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by olliej View Post
            I've just had the KCRR-38s and PN 5899 rubber springs installed today. Initial lift to back is indeed 15mm and should settle lower.

I'm also towing a 17ft Jayco journey outback pop top. With stock springs the rear sagged about 30mm (empty caravan), I'll hook it up and see where it all lands soon.

I do have a 30kg battery, drawers and fridge in the back so mine won't be apples with apples.

edit: hooked up and it dropped only 20mm.
            Thanks for posting Ollie, you are the first person to have posted about fitting KCRR-38 coils to a Pajero Sport.
            Factory specification ride heights are 559mm unladen, measured from the centre of the wheel hub to the underside of the wheel arch in a vertical line.
            It would be great if you could measure your ride heights and also estimate the weight of the drawers, fridge and contents so I can then apply a correction factor to my calculations.

Towing handling should be greatly improved, do you know what your towball weight is?

OJ.

Comment

No worries.

ride height is 565/564 (L/R) with a full tank of fuel.

calculations on weight is fridge (20kg) + battery (30kg) + drawers (50kg) + stuff (15kg) - less removed seats (29kg) = about 86kg.

Towball weight is plated at 150kg unloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by olliej View Post
                No worries.

ride height is 565/564 (L/R) with a full tank of fuel.

calculations on weight is fridge (20kg) + battery (30kg) + drawers (50kg) + stuff (15kg) - less removed seats (29kg) = about 86kg.

Towball weight is plated at 150kg unloaded.

Thanks Ollie,

Your numbers are starting to make sense to me now.

You have gained 6mm ride height over the empty factory specifications with a net increase of 86kg in the rear cargo area load. So my calculated 15mm+/-5mm empty ride height is pretty close.

If your plated towball weight is 150kg then it is applying 225kg of load on the rear coils for 20mm compression.
                Have you ever checked the actual towball load, I suspect the actual towball load may be more?
                At this compression are the 5899 rubber coil assist cones contacting or is all the load being carried by the coils?

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X