Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pajero sport auxiliary 39.5l fuel tank

Hey All,

I was looking at the long range fuel tank for my Pajero Sport GLS and came across this tank. I can’t seem to find it in Australia though.....anyone seen or heard of it before?

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...ero-sport.html

Cheers Mark

I believe this is for the Challenger (Pajero Sport in South Africa ). It's possible that it fits the current PS but i don't think it is ADR compliant. I think the only auxiliary tank available to us is the one by Long Ranger.
    2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
    Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
    Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

Ron is right. I contacted Front Runner in South Africa and the tank is for the Challenger which is called a Pajero Sport there. (confusing!) It will not fit the 2015 onward Pajero Sport we have here in Australia, although they may look at developing a suitable tank soon.

I have heard that ARB are well advanced with a similar tank here in Australia that will fit the PS and will be ADR compliant.

Comment

Cheers guys

Comment

Is this any good?
          http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...72&cspheader=1

Comment

It sounds ok. I'll have to look at how much I paid when I get home. I believe the BD tanks are good but a little while ago they had a few problems with cracking. I had an Outback Accessories tank fitted and so far no problems.
            2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
            Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
            Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

That's about the same price I paid for the Outback Accessories tank plus fitting.
              The tank that Mark1969 opened with is an auxiliary tank though, which I personally would stay away from as it throws all the extra weight behind the rear axle and also means you have to relocate the spare wheel.
              At least in the locally available ones you do.
              But, we have just done the first short trip (2000 K's) with the new 112 ltr tank and the caravan and it is great not to be worried about where the next service station is and to be able to pick a bit more where we can fill and avoid what looks like a dodgy one.
              Regards.....Keith.

Comment

The tanks that ARB and possibly Front Runner are developing are auxillary type tanks that fit neatly in the spare space either side of the cross member that the spare wheel pulls up against under the rear cargo floor. If you have a look, there is quite a bit of room there for a 40 litre tank. There is a narrow connecting piece between the two halves of the tank which fits over the cross member, and this does lower the spare wheel by about 50mm, but not enough to cause concern about departure angles. There is also a hole through this connecting piece for the spare wheel winch chain. It seems very similar to the Challenger tank on the Front Runner web page.

Comment

Thanks JFP, as soon as I sent my reply I thought perhaps someone would have engineered around the spare wheel problem.
                  Great idea.
                  I still prefer to have the extra weight mid vehicle for the use we give the car, that is towing a large 'van.
                  For off roading though the larger existing tank may hang a bit low.
                  Regards.....Keith.

Comment

I am wanting to have extra fuel for my Pajero Sport Exceed. The major problem I am trying to address is the effect of a larger tank on the computer as I understand it stuffs the fuel guage and the projected range to empty which I use a lot. There is a 45 litre Longranger auxillary tank that fits above the spare wheel and retains the extisting 68 litre tank. Am I correct in assuming that with the auxilliary tank and the retention of the existing tank, it will not affect the computer in that it will give the range to empty on the existing tank but with the auxilliary tank you can top up the main tank which should automatically adjust the computer. No different to adding fuel at the garage.

Interested in any comments about the effect on the compter/fuel tank readings with just a larger tank.

Thanks.......Geoff

Comment

What happens with a gravity feed auxiliary tank is that the main tank is continuously topped up by the auxiliary tank until the auxiliary is empty. Until that happens, the fuel gauge on the main tank reads full all the time. The only indication that the auxiliary tank is empty is when the gage on the main tank starts to drop. As far as the range to empty indication is concerned, that will not be accurate until the main tank begins to be emptied. Up until that time the computer will just keep displaying km to empty given the current driving conditions and a full main tank. It cannot take account of the auxiliary tank in its calculations.

Comment

ARB do a 100lt replacement tank.
                        https://www.arb.com.au/fuel-tanks-st...nge-fuel-tank/
                        The weight is forward of the rear axle but it only gives another 32litres of fuel capacity.
                        Is that enough and is it worth the expense?

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

2 Jerry cans is much cheaper. Looked at LR tanks and they are just to much money.
                          2019 PS Black edition. ECB Bull bar, Boo's sump guards and King springs F&R.

Comment

The way I use auxiliary tanks has been to keep it full until I want to dump the fuel into the main. This way I get a good range indicator and if I choose to fill up then I can. If you constantly fill you tank then the range is inaccurate and you will find you will be forced to fill not fill when you want. This is handy when you get to a town and find the next fuel station 300klms up the road. Which you might make, so knowing you have a couple of extra litres on board to top up you will then know you will get there. If however you have used the tank already and the distance to empty it saying 280klms then you have no choice but to fill because your auxiliary is empty already.

So my advise is use the auxiliary as you would a jerry can, it is just less messy. Oh and the second thing. If you get a hole in your main tank and you have used your auxiliary you now have a stopped car, where as with a pump auxiliary you at least have a choice of jerry rigging a system that will work to get you to home or a mechanic.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X