Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS Not starting multiple service messages

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PS Not starting multiple service messages

    My PS wont start, when the start button is pressed, all the lights (Including headlights) flicker, there is a chattering sound from under the bonnet under the black cover over the engine toward the cabin wall. Multiple Warning messages are cycled through, Immobiliser requires service, 4WD system service required, Transmission service required, ATSC system service required.
    I was towing a caravan switched off the engine detached the caravan and then this happened an hour later, The car is just past 2 years of use. Could it be the battery gone dead, Anyone have an idea or a quick fix for the problem?
    Attached Files

  • #2
    PS Not Starting

    I’d start with the battery, how many volts is it holding when starting. If that’s OK then call MM Warranty.
    Greg Grey Grumbly

    2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
    Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
      I’d start with the battery, how many volts is it holding when starting. If that’s OK then call MM Warranty.



      +1...Get the battery checked first up... With many people not travelling much and cars sitting idle for longer periods batteries will start failing because of no charge , or too little charge..
      Dicko FNQ


      2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
      Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

      .

      Telegraph X camper

      Comment


      • #4
        I know it probably not the case, but it’s not still in Drive is it?

        Comment


        • #5
          Why is the fuel gauge showing empty?

          Also there is a temperature of 48C displayed, is this outside air temperature ?

          OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

          Comment


          • #6
            @ G3 - Thanks for the suggestions people, The battery is flat 12.45V drops to 7.13V on attempting to start.
            I had recently installed a drop in replacement Lithium battery in the caravan DIY, which charges well with Ac charger, this is the first time i connected it to the car with a DC DC charger, now the caravan battery is flat as well, Did the caravan draw too much current and overload the alternator on the car? I am wondering if it may be, the charging circuit in the car which is on the blink, is there a fuse in the charging circuit which i can look at?
            @NWDarwin - No it is in park
            @ OJ - The fuel is full and the ambient temp shown may be spurious but I am at Darwin, the temp shown usually is always on the higher side by around 8 degrees.

            Comment


            • #7
              All the Fuses in the engine bay fuse box looks good. the alternator fuse is one of the 7.5A fuses I have circled in the pic as per a video on you tube. Next, will get a friend to come over with a jump start Cable and try that out.
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                7.13vdc on cranking, battery is dead.

                I would be checking the dual battery control system for correct operation.
                When you fitted the lithium did you change anything else over?
                Something sounds strange that the lithium is the caravan is aldo flat, what isolation system do do have to isolate starting from caravan?
                What BMS are you running with the lithium, flat??? what is the lithium voltage??
                Do you have a low voltage cutout to protect the lithium, if so what is it set at to cut out?

                OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  7.13vdc on cranking, battery is dead.

                  I would be checking the dual battery control system for correct operation.
                  When you fitted the lithium did you change anything else over?
                  Something sounds strange that the lithium is the caravan is aldo flat, what isolation system do do have to isolate starting from caravan?
                  What BMS are you running with the lithium, flat??? what is the lithium voltage??
                  Do you have a low voltage cutout to protect the lithium, if so what is it set at to cut out?

                  OJ.
                  The caravan came with an Projecta AC charging system and a Redarc BC DC system which recognize and had charging alogritims for most batteries except Lithium, I didn't change the deep cycle LA to lithium earlier because of the high cost of battery and the need to change both the charging systems. Recently my caravan Gel battery lost performance and the ebay price of the Li Fe 130AH was reduced to $490 (delivered) and the newer batteries have circuitery in the battery allowing it to work with the older chargers (True drop in) abeit with the 5 stage slower charge rate, so I bought one and fixed it, Worked like a charm with the Projecta Ac chargerl, The Li Fe battery also powered an Ebay power Jockey wheel which is supposed to consume a heavy load. I also got a cheap remote start 3.5Kva Gen on Ebay will run everything in a pinch and recharge the batteries if the solar is not an option in remote location. I am not very savy with the secondary systems so I was very pleased that all of this panned out for very less moolah

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Restarted the car with a jump start from a Landcriser 200, needed to cable up the batteries for 15 min and rev the LC to get it to start, now with the engine running and jump start cables off the voltage at the terminals has come up to 14V, does that mean the alternator is ok? and either the battery has developed a internal short or the caravan drained it dry?
                    Must set off to to Outback batteries and see what they say as well, before switching it off

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      At 14V it looks like your alternator is trying to charge it.

                      I would ask someone to run through the vehicle (check out what may be drawing from the battery when the engine is runing and when Off) and do the same thing when connected to your caravan. An hour of measuring will give great piece of mind!

                      The battery dropping so low on cranking indicates the capacity is compromised. Before replacing I would be keen to find out what is going on before you damage the new one.
                      2018 PS; King Springs on rear; Nudgebar; Hella FF400HID spotties; rear storage inc Aux battery/Redarc BCDC; Provent EGR filter; Rear diff breather; towing Bailey caravan....rarely....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Battery world checked the car battery which seems to have recovered after the drive there, stress tested to 700CCA and on restart Voltage drop is only to 11.3 VDC so car battery and charging system is OK and recovered. The caravan lithium battery is 0.0V and is not recharging with the projecta Intelli charger so looks like the lithium battery has a internal short not sure how the car battery was drained by it. Also dont know if something in the caravan drained it only the heater of the 3 way fridge was on.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by orthodoxs View Post
                          Battery world checked the car battery which seems to have recovered after the drive there, stress tested to 700CCA and on restart Voltage drop is only to 11.3 VDC so car battery and charging system is OK and recovered. The caravan lithium battery is 0.0V and is not recharging with the projecta Intelli charger so looks like the lithium battery has a internal short not sure how the car battery was drained by it. Also dont know if something in the caravan drained it only the heater of the 3 way fridge was on.
                          3 way fridges are a huge drain on batteries especially when there is no charge going into them. A good battery can be drained in as short as a couple of hours.
                          2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
                          Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
                          Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by orthodoxs View Post
                            Battery world checked the car battery which seems to have recovered after the drive there, stress tested to 700CCA and on restart Voltage drop is only to 11.3 VDC so car battery and charging system is OK and recovered. The caravan lithium battery is 0.0V and is not recharging with the projecta Intelli charger so looks like the lithium battery has a internal short not sure how the car battery was drained by it. Also dont know if something in the caravan drained it only the heater of the 3 way fridge was on.



                            3 way fridge should only run on batteries when tow vehicle is running..they draw around 10-15 amps so sitting for 4-5 hours can drain a battery. Your lithium may still be alright. Some lithiums wont charge backup if voltage has dropped below a certain figure. Some lithiums require a true dedicated lithium battery charger to enable it to kick itself back into life. I have recently put a 100 amp/hr lithium in the rear tub but I also took out the redarc and solar control that used to run the agm batteries in there. I dont believe in the "drop in" advertising!! Once your lithium is fully charged it will go into float if using the agm settings. Lithium batteries should not go into float mode once fully charged!!. I purchased enerdrive 40 amp dcdc and 240 volt/40 amp chargers...Plus a dedicated Victron lithium solar reg. Find out who deals with lithium batteries in Darwin and get them to check out the lithium battery. I know my Renogy 100amp when put in sleep mode only shows 3-4 volts on multi meter.
                            Dicko FNQ


                            2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
                            Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

                            .

                            Telegraph X camper

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                              3 way fridge should only run on batteries when tow vehicle is running..they draw around 10-15 amps so sitting for 4-5 hours can drain a battery. Your lithium may still be alright. Some lithiums wont charge backup if voltage has dropped below a certain figure. Some lithiums require a true dedicated lithium battery charger to enable it to kick itself back into life. I have recently put a 100 amp/hr lithium in the rear tub but I also took out the redarc and solar control that used to run the agm batteries in there. I dont believe in the "drop in" advertising!! Once your lithium is fully charged it will go into float if using the agm settings. Lithium batteries should not go into float mode once fully charged!!. I purchased enerdrive 40 amp dcdc and 240 volt/40 amp chargers...Plus a dedicated Victron lithium solar reg. Find out who deals with lithium batteries in Darwin and get them to check out the lithium battery. I know my Renogy 100amp when put in sleep mode only shows 3-4 volts on multi meter.
                              Thanks for the info, I think you are right, I also downloaded the specs of the Projecta which says it needs at least 1 volt baseline to recharge, so tomorrow I will get the portable solar panel with built in regulator which I already have, directly onto the battery and hopefully tickle up the 1-2 Volts required, will also have to investigate how it managed to drain the primary battery, I thought that the battery isolator is built into the redarc BCDC charger. Also the battery was advertised "Overcharge and discharge protection built-in" Cut off below 10V, I sure learnt something. will keep you all posted, just in case my experience helps another.

                              Comment

                              Matched content

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X