Tyres and Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres and Rims

In a couple of weeks I'll have a new QF PS. Thinking of wheels and tyres I have a few questions, Firstly, I assume QE and QF PS's will all fit the same rims and tyres, correct?

Our daily usage will be on sealed roads around town, some weekend trips with pretty easy 4WD and then an annual ~month or so long trip exploring the outback including aspirations to do things like the Simpson desert. Not planning on towing anything.

For a compromise, my question is what tyre would you recommend? The Cooper STT Maxx and AT3s seem to get mentioned a bit here, but on productreview they get a bad rating for noise. Is there something I'm likely to be happy with both in the outback and for a daily driver?

If not, I'd consider getting a second set of rims and swapping wheels before/after long trips. If it's worth doing this, any ideas on the best source of rims (secondhand)? In particular what other cars would have comparable rims that are suitable for 4WDing? Should I consider a different diameter rim?

I'm asking all this before taking delivery of the car as others here have mentioned that you might get a reasonable tyre trade in price for near new (if I don't think I'll go down the road of getting a second set of rims).

Thanks!

Forgot to say: Scorpion ATR tyres also seem to pop up a bit and seem a little cheaper perhaps.

Comment

Or am I over-thinking this -- stock tyres are Toyo Open Country A32. Should I just stick with these until they are worn out?

Comment

I've run scorpion atr's on both my gen 4 pajeros. If your doing mostly sealed roads and light 4x4 works then hey will be more than up to the task. They can be pushed very hard off road if needed. My NW has done about 80k kms on a set with regular rotation. No off road work on the NW. The NS had a set which were used in all terrain and pushed very hard with biggest failing being red clay tracks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by klaash View Post
          The Cooper STT Maxx and AT3s seem to get mentioned a bit here, but on productreview they get a bad rating for noise. Is there something I'm likely to be happy with both in the outback and for a daily driver?

I'm asking all this before taking delivery of the car as others here have mentioned that you might get a reasonable tyre trade in price for near new (if I don't think I'll go down the road of getting a second set of rims).

Thanks!
          I have got the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx, I dont think there is a STT Maxx, there was a STT pro but not available in the standard size as of 2 years back, when i got my OEM tyres swapped from new 1st thing after taking delivery ($100 off by Cooper dealer) Cooper tyres also offers free tyre rotation and check every 5000 kms with a warranty for 80000KMs, No tyre noise at all, the dealer is quite friendly and always does the rotations of all 5 wheels even when i turn up without an appointment, he says that tyre noise develops only if they are not rotated every 5000 kms, i am not sure of that, but as it is free and as there is no noise on the highway i am happy. I also go off road for a bit of gold fossiking and i understand that the side walls are more damage resistant due to the cross ply, so far so good with no need to consider a 2nd spare, they perform well in all terrains, touch wood (i carry a sattellite phone just in case) Same tyres for in town use and very comfortable. The dealer always keeps the pressures to the maximum for the LT construct to reduce wear and increase mileage but i reduce it to the recommended pressures on the door plate for comfort. i acknowledge OJ for his timely advice on the choice of tyres.

Comment

5000km rotation on the atrs. They get noisy on large roundbouts if you dont rotate them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

WHAT IS COVERED by my mileage waranty AND FOR HOW LONG?

Cooper Tires’ Mileage Warranty is available nationally.

A Cooper Tires® authorised retailer has the right to refuse or vary the mileage warranty at their discretion based on the road conditions and geographic influences encountered in their local area or the intended use of the tyres. Although, the mileage you obtain in a country area may be less due to its specific conditions, the life expectancy of Cooper tyres should be greater compared to many other competitor brands under the same conditions.

The above is a dozzy.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THE MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY?

This warranty does not cover product defects caused by factors beyond the control of the manufacturer such as:

• This warranty does not cover tyres that become unserviceable due to conditions resulting from road hazards, such as cuts, snags or punctures.
              • Conditions resulting from improper installation, wheel misalignment or tyre/wheel assembly imbalance.
              • Conditions resulting from consumer damage, such as improper tyre and vehicle maintenance, misuse, abuse and accident.
              • Passenger car tyres used in any commercial application (including taxi or hire vehicles).
              • Ride complaints after the first 1mm tread wear.
              • Ozone or weather cracking on tyres over four (4) years from date of purchase OR tyres that are worn to 1.6mm tread depth, whichever comes first.

LIFETIME FREE REPLACEMENT WARRANTY

Cooper Tires Car tyre range comes with an Australia-wide lifetime replacement warranty against manufacturing faults for the life of the tyre. This means if you experience any manufacturing faults during the tread life of the tyre, it will be replaced at no charge with a new tyre of the same size and pattern.

You are however responsible for all costs associated with making a claim under this warranty including the cost of mounting, balancing and any additional charges or your acceptance of a higher priced replacement tyre.

I doubt the last paragraph is enforceable. Would you expect to pay labour costs for a replacement motor under warranty?

Comment

+1 for Pirelli Scorpion ATR's . Have extra 17" genuine Triton rims shod with 265/65 r17 to keep identical OEM diameter for offroad use . My factory rims have 265/60r18 of same tyre , rotated every 5000km with 5 tyres in the rotation . No noise or wear irregularities due to 45psi cold pressures on road . Vehicle also tows boat and have never given me cause for concern . Just my 2 cents worth .

Comment

Hi Klassh,

There is no tyre that will be perfect in both your situations. A nice quite comfortable HT or mild AT in a passenger construction is ideal for around town but load up the vehicle and hit the roads of central Australia and the chances of tyre problems increases hugely are significant.

If I was buy a new Pajero Sport I would insist the dealer fit genuine 17" Titon alloys is place of the 18" Pajero Sport alloys, 17" tyre's have a larger range to choose from, are cheaper, more readily available outside the metro area, more comfortable ride, higher sidewall so less likely to damage a rim off road and you can run lower tyre pressures without the risk of tyre damage.

The Cooper ST Maxx is a very heavy duty aggressive tread AT/MT hybrid tyre.
                  Negatives are they use more fuel, are noisy even if roasted even 5,000km to 7,500km and the ride comfort is not as good. Positives they are a very tough outback touring tyre, excellent in sand and good in light mud. I am on my 3rd set set on my 2011 Challenger and get around 70,000kms out of a 5 tyre rotation and I change them when the tread is between 5mm and 3mm just before winter every 4 years or so depending on how many long trips I do. I venture off the bitumen at least every month during the
                  7 month bushwalking season so I need a reliable off road traction tyre that also has reasonable on road manners.

I used to run 2 sets of tyre going back 20+ years ago a set of HT and a set of MT but found I alway had the wrong tyre fitted, I also found that the MT did go hard and dangerous on wet bitumen after 4 or 5 years even though they were only 1/2 worn.
                  So for the last 20 years I have run Light Truck construction aggressive AT tyre's all the time and just accept the extra fuel consumption and noisy as a part of owning a 4wd.
                  In AT I have used 1 set of LT 8ply Yokohama, 1 set of LT 8ply Bridgestone, 2 sets of LT 8ply BFG Goodrich, 2 sets of Cooper ST and 3 sets of Cooper ST Maxx all in LT 10ply construction.

Most people run their tyre pressures way too high, 45psi on a Pajero Sport is excessive, the tyre's will ride hard and put extra shock loads into your front strut and rear shocker bushes. An overinflated tyre will also underperform as it will tend to lift off the bitumen when cornering. Tyre placard will indicate high 20' to low 30' psi, around 30/32 psi is ideal unless fully loaded and towing heavy. I am always at GVM+150kg so 2860kg and my bitumen touring pressures are 34psi front and 36psi rear, around town all tyre's are 32psi cold.

An 8 or 10ply LT construction tyre with a mild AT pattern will be the best compromise, Cooper AT3, Mickey Thompson AT38, Toyo AT2, Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Hankook RF10 the and the list can keep going. There are many passenger construction tyre's that have AT tread patterns, sure they provide extra traction off road but provide very little increase in durability and reliability.

Remember there is no such thing as a bad tyre bad there are plenty of bad tyre choices made by owners.

OJ.
                  Last edited by old Jack; 01-06-20, 09:46 PM.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Thank you so much for all the info everyone!

A lot to digest. At the moment I'm leaning towards finding some secondhand Triton rims and mounting same diameter AT tyres on them. Also means I can put off making a decision and spending the cash for 6 months (until we go on the first larger trip).

Keeping the original set of rims for everyday use with tyres with good fuel efficiency and lower noise will be much more acceptable in our family. (This was a shift up from a VW Golf .... )

Regarding finding Triton rims that fit, I've found posts saying there are issues with brake clearance for some models. Is there a definitive list or way to find out whether something will fit other than physically trying it?

Thanks!
                    klaas

Comment

I think you need 17 in rims instead of 18 in.

We've used Scorpion ATR and Dunlop Grand Trek AT-3 and they've been OK, however ended up with Geolandar A/T-S, which have been excellent for an 80/20 highway/offroad mix. We ran BF Goodrich T/A tyres for a 50/50 mix and they're excellent, although a little noisier on the highway in my view. We are now running Toyo Open Country A/T which have proved good on the highway, on gravel (Gibb River Road and others), and also across the Simpson.

Comment

From what everyone has said, I think my best option (a compromise as always these things!) is to retain the factory wheels for everyday use, and setup a second set of 17" wheels for my planned longer trips and other adventurous outings.

To get some 17" rims, I was thinking about finding used Triton rims, e.g. what are your thoughts about something like this:
                        https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camb...ls-/1249331120

(only interested in the rims not the tyres). Would they fit? Any other issues I should think about getting used rims?

Perusing ads it seems unlikely that I will be able to find a set of 6 identical rims (2 spares) -- there are so many variations. Other than cosmetics are there any issues with mixing rims (with the same tyre and same rim geometry, but different weights)?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Klaash, be cautious with those wheels in the thread above. They look like Gen.3 Pajero wheels to me meaning +46 offset. Ideally you need +38 offset Mitsubishi rims. I run PB Challenger 17x71/2 alloys as a second set for offroad driving on my QE Pajero Sport. MQ Triton 17x71/2 alloys are also known to fit. Others identify that MN Triton 17x71/2 alloys don’t fit, so test first, buy second. 2 sets of rims are a good solution for me as I benefit from the good ride and handling of the OE 18’s with HT tyres for daily duties and only fit my AT 17’s for rougher trips. Takes about 30 mins to swap out all 5. Down side is that my current Goodyear Wranglers AT’s are nearly 10 years old and only half worn. One day soon I will have to bite the bullet and get some new tyres due to age of rubber, forfeiting some of their life for safety. Probably need to fit next set for all offroad trips and get more value out of them. Good luck.
                          17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

Legally you can only fit rims with an offset range from P38 to P13, because you can only increase the width of the wheel track by up to 50mm as long as the tyre and time does not protrude outside the body or contact any part of the body or suspension during the complete steering and suspension travel range. However increasing your wheel
                            track alters the scrub radius and how the vehicle handles particularly the self aligning torque characteristics. Widening the wheel track also increases the loads on the wheel bearings.

OJ.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

I didn't realise that the Pajero had a different offset -- thanks a lot for pointing that out. Definitely don't want to change that! I'll keep my eye out for suitable Triton wheels.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X