Making Phone Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Phone Calls

I know it’s a minor gripe but what is about software programmers that makes them seemingly completely overlook the end user.

When I make a call in the PS, I usually use the redial feature to bring up my recent dialled numbers. Then after selecting the number the green Dial button comes up which you press to make the call. THEN it comes up with another button asking if you really want to make the call!

Why on earth do I need to tell it twice. Minor I know but it does annoy me and the next question is can this Second Confirmation button be turned OFF.
    Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
    Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
    Why on earth do I need to tell it twice. Minor I know but it does annoy me . . .
    I'm guessing that is why your name is what it is Greg.
    I'm feeling your pain brother . . . I empathise.
    You could call me aged, grey and grumbly too. That's what we are here for; our purpose in life . . . isn't it?
    Sorry, I don't have the answer.
    Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

I probably use the phone connection maybe 6 times a year..not an issue. I am still stuffed if I know why any manufacturer would include this ridiculous option in a vehicle.
      Dicko FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
      Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Thanks for the shoulder to lean on WHID and being in Melbourne you are copping your fair share of pain.

But there will be an 'other side' to it, just got to avoid being one of the statistics.

But to clarify on my name, it actually is derived from my Navy time working on the Tracker S2/E, a radial engined, anti submarine animal with folding wings and ability to operate off a carrier when we had one. Our nickname for the Tracker was the 'Grey Grumbly' it was of course grey and the twin radials had a distinctive sound. Oh for the old days.

But the phone thing is annoying!
        Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
          I probably use the phone connection maybe 6 times a year..not an issue. I am still stuffed if I know why any manufacturer would include this ridiculous option in a vehicle.
          X2

Well maybe not every year
          2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent catch can, Boos bash plates, Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, fridge slide, kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, more to come...

Comment

A good phone connection is amazing for trips, it’s a good way to catch up with a mate for a yarn etc, but it needs to be a good one in a quiet vehicle otherwise they are just hard work. It’s high on importance for a new car for me, my paj doesn’t have it but I imagine a paj would be too noisy for them to be a heck of a lot of use.
            1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
            1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
            2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

Guys

You are complain that you have a vehicle that is so posh it can make telephone
              calls while you are driving down the highway.

We didn't get a phone at home until I was age 12, and now we can talk to anyone,
              anywhere at the touch of a button.........twice.

Trisome
              2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, ECU West Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

To deter you from using the phone, if you do you will take your eyes off the road three times instead of once and therefore it's a self for filling prophecy and stacks the likely hood of you being a statistic. Mind you it's worse if you connect via USB. I love the way you have to move your finger to different places on the screen each tap. I rely on Bluetooth as much as pos. Takes me back to the days of cassette tapes.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                  A good phone connection is amazing for trips, it’s a good way to catch up with a mate for a yarn etc, but it needs to be a good one in a quiet vehicle otherwise they are just hard work. It’s high on importance for a new car for me, my paj doesn’t have it but I imagine a paj would be too noisy for them to be a heck of a lot of use.

You forgot to add that its very handy for causing many deaths every year by people being distracted and not concentrating on driving. Its been proven many times that talking on the phone whilst driving is a good recipe for an accident.

ps...Paj is more than quiet enough to use the phone in. Even quieter if you are smart and pull over to the side of the road and use your phone..

Qld now has the cameras on portable mountings that are designed to catch out drivers using their phones, with big fines attached.
                  Dicko FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
                  Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Well Folks grumble no more!
                    Jus say 'OK Google' - Wait for the Chime or the dancing coloured bar thingy - Then say 'Call XXXX'
                    Also works for navigation say 'ok google' - then 'Navigate XXXX' - and off you go.
                    Of course, this is for android and the net should be connected, also will work without wire connection on blue tooth as long as the 'OK Google' function is set up correctly on the phone.
                    Last edited by orthodoxs; 07-08-20, 10:19 AM. Reason: Addition

Comment

You forgot to add that its very handy for causing many deaths every year by people being distracted and not concentrating on driving. Its been proven many times that talking on the phone whilst driving is a good recipe for an accident.

ps...Paj is more than quiet enough to use the phone in. Even quieter if you are smart and pull over to the side of the road and use your phone..

Qld now has the cameras on portable mountings that are designed to catch out drivers using their phones, with big fines attached.
                      I didn’t forget to add it, I thought people were not dumb enough to use their phones while driving. Hopefully the cameras do their job. A hands free system as I and the original author was talking about however is perfectly legit and arguably a better bet than touchscreens, drinking coffee, driving with kids in the back, etc etc.
                      1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                      2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

OK, maybe I am able to have some input here.

I'm very much something of a luddite with all this, so I don't have my head around the entire problem.

But, when I want to make a call in my PS, I press the button on the steering wheel, 'Siri' responds and I say "Call, Harold Gruntfuttock" and 'she' does it. One touch of a button on the wheel, a few words and it's done. Eyes on the road the entire time.

It even works with an SMS (text) - instead of saying "Call Harry Gruntfuttock", I say "Message Harry", dictate the message and it's done.

It's exactly the same process for 'directions' also - always with eyes on the road.

Cheers . . your local luddite.
                        Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

Ok, some good advice here, maybe I need to graduate to using the voice commands.

The point I was making was that as a safety issue, having to look at the screen twice to make a phone call was anti safety. The fact remains that people make calls while driving all the time for various reasons, calling ahead to caravan parks when travelling,calling home to tell them I’m incoming, all the usual stuff.

But to have to extend that process is increasing risk, but maybe the answer is to go voice command, it takes me a while to work through all of this modern technology.
                          Greg Grey Grumbly

Comment

Graduating to voice commands . . .

It all came together for me in recent times only. I found it quite novel and something of a revelation. Though the technology has been around for years, I thought it marvellous.

Somewhere, early in the process it was necessary to go through a voice recognition procedure where the system (Siri) became tuned in to my particular voice and tone.

In respect of the 'directions' function, I tested it to a greater degree than usual one day, when I asked simply, "Directions to Jimmy's". I had one Jimmy (quite a few Jims) in my contacts list and I also had his Launceston address in there too. I was visiting Tassie and hadn't been to his house previously.

I was somewhat blown away, when, without a hesitation, it (the system) came up with the goods and delivered me to Jimmy's house. Hands on the wheel the entire time, eyes on the road and only the odd (unnecessary) glance at the map on the screen taken. I felt like a technological whiz.

Cheers . . . Dick Tracey

Comment

Enjoy the marvels of voice dialling - https://vimeo.com/80848776

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X