• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New van

Just towed the new van for first outing last weekend
    2008 Trakmaster Sturt,13 ft 6 “
    Tare 1500
    ATM 1900

From Melbourne to Maldon,then to Barmah, on the Murray.

pajero NX,my 2020,diesel
    dual batteries
    readarc brake controller
    boos bash plates
    only driver and passenger seats
    upgraded rear suspension with kings KCRS,standard height ,30% stiffer coils,shockers unchanged, as yet!
    This returned rear height to 530,as had sunk over last year to 520
    with van hitched dropped to 510,but level,as front rose 10 mm
    van slightly nose down,very marginally
    I haven’t towed a van for many years,so not sure what to expect ,but seemed fine
    more revs needed
    torque converter working hard(Automate Pro arrived in mail today,in record time)
    fuel consumption up substantially
    Impressive stability on road,with no effect from passing B doubles at 100 kph
    But,some pitching/ float on uneven roads,mild,barely noticeable,not sure whether normal or not
    I plan to measure tow all mass when I can,and fill 2 2 water tanks,either side of axle to see if this makes a difference
    better shocks,? Koni,has been suggested
    as has reducing weight on towball,(9 kg,4.5 kgm gas bottles,jerry can,empty,metal firewood frame)

plus: annoying squeak developed ,probably from new kings springs, after 100 km,with movement of van / Pajero
    not present when van not hitched
    assumming related to installation of Kings Springs,but ?

Thoughts on
    1.whether upgrade to shockers next step
    OR whether to look measuring van weights and reducing TBM
    or...

appreciate thoughts and others towing experience

Similar story, just towed our new van from Melbourne to Sydney this week. Loaded weight 2.6T (tare weighbridge, spreadsheet for load), TBM estimated around 250kg (at tare 233kg). Towed in 4H in 4th.

I thought my experience re monitoring and managing ATF temperatures on the trip may be of use to other heavy towing newbies, as the three Pajero drivers I spoke to in the caravan parks on the way home did not monitor/manage temperatures (or weights) and towed mostly in Drive!

I used the Carscanner App on my Android phone, monitored by the Minister of Finance as I was only allowed to look at the road! This app monitors ATF pipe temperatures on the NX. Alarm set at 100 degrees, and triggered 3 times on the 900km trip, maximum hit very briefly was 108 degrees

I found torque converter locked at almost exactly 90kmh in 4th, unlocked at around 85kmh. I travelled at between 90-95, but took a run up at 100km when a hill approached to keep locked as long as possible. Locking dropped ATF temp by around 20 degrees within 30 seconds, impressive, with average locked temperature in the mid 70's. The 3 alarm triggers were when I laboured somewhat in 4th when the TC had unlocked going uphill, I found dropping to 3rd then dropped the temperature back to mid 80's - as Marshall has said!

In summary, definitely a locker convert, and almost convinced the Minister of Finance to order Automate - though I have no intention of self installing! By the by, any recommendations for Sydney installers other than Artarmon Automotive - they are booked two months out.

Finally, my grateful thanks to this forum, which has undoubtedly made me a safer tower and better Pajero driver!
    MY19 NX GLS, factory towbar, engineer certified upgrade to 300kg TBM @3T (Kings springs, Koni 82 series shocks, Airbagman bags) To come - Provent 200 catch can and Automate

Comment

Originally posted by skyehelmsman View Post
      Just towed the new van for first outing last weekend
      2008 Trakmaster Sturt,13 ft 6 “
      Tare 1500
      ATM 1900

From Melbourne to Maldon,then to Barmah, on the Murray.

pajero NX,my 2020,diesel
      dual batteries
      readarc brake controller
      boos bash plates
      only driver and passenger seats
      upgraded rear suspension with kings KCRS,standard height ,30% stiffer coils,shockers unchanged, as yet!
      This returned rear height to 530,as had sunk over last year to 520
      with van hitched dropped to 510,but level,as front rose 10 mm
      van slightly nose down,very marginally
      I haven’t towed a van for many years,so not sure what to expect ,but seemed fine
      more revs needed
      torque converter working hard(Automate Pro arrived in mail today,in record time)
      fuel consumption up substantially
      Impressive stability on road,with no effect from passing B doubles at 100 kph
      But,some pitching/ float on uneven roads,mild,barely noticeable,not sure whether normal or not
      I plan to measure tow all mass when I can,and fill 2 2 water tanks,either side of axle to see if this makes a difference
      better shocks,? Koni,has been suggested
      as has reducing weight on towball,(9 kg,4.5 kgm gas bottles,jerry can,empty,metal firewood frame)

plus: annoying squeak developed ,probably from new kings springs, after 100 km,with movement of van / Pajero
      not present when van not hitched
      assumming related to installation of Kings Springs,but ?

Thoughts on
      1.whether upgrade to shockers next step
      OR whether to look measuring van weights and reducing TBM
      or...

appreciate thoughts and others towing experience
      Going by your 20mm decrease in rear ride heights and 10mm increase in front ride height, I would say your towball weight is around 150kg and 75kg of weight is being transferred off the front axle, resulting in a extra 225kg approximately of rear axle load. It will interesting to see how close I am when you measure the towball weight.

Fore and Aft pitching, unfortunately with the long rear overhang and relatively short wheelbase for a LWB 4WD you will get some pitching so the rear shockers are working hard. Upgraded rear shockers will reduce this but not solve it completely, Koni are a premium shocker but these come at significant cost. If you prefer a firmer shocker there are Bilsteins, but these have a short warranty of only 1 year/20,000kms, but are slightly cheaper than Koni, OzTec shockers will give you are more comfortable but controlled ride at a lesser price again and they have a longer warranty.

If you are only travelling on bitumen roads and very good dirt roads then using a lightweight WDH will reduce pitching further as well as offer soma additional sway control. A WDH should only be setup to correct reduce the increase in front ride height back to pre-hitching levels and not to increase the rear ride height back to pre-hitching levels.

Squeak, did they reinstall the plastic coil wraps from the top of the factory coils when the Kings were fitted?
      What was the condition of the lower rear coil insulators when the coils were replaced?

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X