Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Useful tip or just lazy in my older years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useful tip or just lazy in my older years?

I am one of the many who have struggled with the 50mm ball coupling catching under the spare wheel, and for this reason selected a DO-35 coupling for the new caravan. I have now found that I am not strong enough to undo the DO-35 pin from the hitch receiver, tightened by the burly caravan guy, when wanting to swap back to the 50mm ball for towing the tinny.

My cunning (or plain lazy) solution (as opposed to spare wheel lift option) is to leave the DO-35 on the genuine factory hitch for the heavy caravan and purchase a long shank hitch (30mm longer than the factory from pin hole to ball hole) for towing the tinny - $69 on E-Bay. No issue with spare tyre catching now!. I would not recommend this solution for heavy loads though.
    MY19 NX GLS, factory towbar, engineer certified upgrade to 300kg TBM @3T (Kings springs, Koni 82 series shocks, Airbagman bags) To come - Provent 200 catch can and Automate

I did the same thing. McHitch for camper and 50mm ball for boat and box trailer. Easy as AND...it stops the tongue rusting into the receiver.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
    If you take life too seriously you will never get out alive....

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
      I did the same thing. McHitch for camper and 50mm ball for boat and box trailer. Easy as AND...it stops the tongue rusting into the receiver.
      Me, too.

Comment

Same here. Heavy duty one set up with DO35 pin and bracket for WDH and smaller hitch with 50mm Ball.
        As Dicko 1 stated , stops the tongue rusting up as you swap over the hitches regularly

​​ ​​​​​​​
        NH Pajero 1993 3.0 V6 GLS with ARB Bullbar, HD Suspension 2" lift, Roof rack, cargo barrier, rear drawers, onboard air compressor, Mickey Thompson MTZ tyres, Hella Spot lights, UHF radio, GPS
        ALSO NT 30th Anniversary Model 3.2 DID Auto.(Accessory list needs to start again). Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 Tyres, ARB old man emu 50mm Suspension lift, SPV module and Catch Can,Bushskinz plates, King Brown 3" Exhaust turbo back, Flappy Paddles, Auto Mate Torque Lock up Kit.

Comment

To Add to rusty tongues,

Mine is anti Seized & removed from time to time.

But what i also intend on doing, is drilling a hole in the towbar receiver itself to let the water out.

Park nose down & the trapped water in the tongue, water can't get out, makes a nice dam actually
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier

Comment

I also have two tongues, original with the ball and another with a DO35 pin for the Van. I sprayed the inside of the hitch tube with lanolin, have yet to drill a hole on the back of the receiver. (this thread reminded me)
            I also slid a 1.2mm piece of stainless sheet in above the tongue, stops the rattle when not towing without having to worry about adjusting the "anti rattle" bolt.

Comment

I only fit a tongue when required, I actually hate towbars sticking out when a trailer is not coupled.
              Dangerous, inconsiderate and rude especially in carparks in my opinion, in some states it is illegal but rarely policed.
              I have multiple tongues that I use including an adjustable height for low drawbars, a high mount for off road trailers and the original HR tongue for most towing duties, that has the anti rattle wedge system which works really well.
              When using the other tongues, to stop the rattling, I have 2 of pieces of milk bottle plastic cut to size so they cover the top or bottom and wrap around both the sides to the pin. These pieces of plastic are easily inserted, do a great job and easily replaceable when worn.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                I actually hate towbars sticking out when a trailer is not coupled.
                Dangerous, inconsiderate and rude especially in carparks in my opinion, in some states it is illegal but rarely policed.

OJ.
                Don't be so hard on me Jack .

It's holding my Bushskinz rear bumper protector up.

I would like to leave this fitted which i own, but then i need to lock it to the bar, easier on the shins than a DO35 Pin.

https://saberoffroad.com/product/rop...k-hdx-shackle/

I brought one of these the other day to lock my Maxtrax to the pins on my roof when in use, stainless padlock with brass guts.
                I'm going to buy another set with Alloy teeth, so yeah need to be locked, keep opportunistic thieves at bay.

https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/pa...sort=relevance

Soon with camper trailer locks, Maxtrax locks, car locks, tow hitch recovery loop locks, i'll be like a prison warden with massive bunch of keys trying to work out which ones which .
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

Don't be so hard on me Jack .

It's holding my Bushskinz rear bumper protector up.

I would like to leave this fitted which i own, but then i need to lock it to the bar, easier on the shins than a DO35 Pin.

https://saberoffroad.com/product/rop...k-hdx-shackle/

I brought one of these the other day to lock my Maxtrax to the pins on my roof when in use, stainless padlock with brass guts.
                  I'm going to buy another set with Alloy teeth, so yeah need to be locked, keep opportunistic thieves at bay.

https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/pa...sort=relevance

Soon with camper trailer locks, Maxtrax locks, car locks, tow hitch recovery loop locks, i'll be like a prison warden with massive bunch of keys trying to work out which ones which .
                  Mine also is used to assist with holding the Bushskinz rear bar PLUS...)Just to keep Jack happy)...both hitches do not protrude past a vertical line of the rear wheel cover. All legal ok in Qld....Anyone who bumps into mine must be snooping!!!!
                  Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Mine also is used to assist with holding the Bushskinz rear bar PLUS...)Just to keep Jack happy)...both hitches do not protrude past a vertical line of the rear wheel cover. All legal ok in Qld....Anyone who bumps into mine must be snooping!!!!
                    Well that's a good point Dicko

Comment

The requirement is, it does not protrude past the exterior of the vehicle so that personal injury via contact is minimised.
                      ADR 92/00 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018L01520
                      ADR 42/04 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2011C00102

So bullbar attachments like rod holders, antenna mounts, front tow hitches, driving lights, shovels, vices, fire grates, all have the potential to draw attention.
                      On the rear of the vehicle, tow hitches and bike carriers are the most common.
                      Even a roof rail crossbar or roof rack that is over width is non compliant.

What they are really hot on in SA is obscured and unreadable number plates, after all it is about road safety not revenue!

OJ.

2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

The requirement is, it does not protrude past the exterior of the vehicle so that personal injury via contact is minimised.
                        ADR 92/00 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018L01520
                        ADR 42/04 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2011C00102

So bullbar attachments like rod holders, antenna mounts, front tow hitches, driving lights, shovels, vices, fire grates, all have the potential to draw attention.
                        On the rear of the vehicle, tow hitches and bike carriers are the most common.
                        Even a roof rail crossbar or roof rack that is over width is non compliant.

What they are really hot on in SA is obscured and unreadable number plates, after all it is about road safety not revenue!

OJ.
                        In Qld a vehicle can only have a fishing rod holder on the bullbar if it is actually carrying rods for a trip. Lights cannot protrude past the front of a bullbar, have sharp edges or be mounted on top of a bullbar. Trailer hitches cannot protrude past furtherest rear point of vehicle. Bullbars are not allowed sharp edges either. I believe all the states have various rules.
                        Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

In QLD, drove around in many heaps of [email protected]! in my times, enforcement of all this garbage generally speaking is zilch.

Thank god.

Rod holders are wad punchers, pretty sure they don't like those much.

In QLD when it matters in normal times is only when you need a roadworthy, otherwise its on the "what if" list.

Yeah they had a blitz few years back or nab blokes on beach access occasionally.

I see illegal vehicles daily.

Legible number plates goes without saying

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X