Better than D shackles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better than D shackles.

Came across these yesterday on another thread.
    Thought I should share, hooks instead of D shackles.

http://industrialsuppliesaustralia.c...hain-hook-set/

http://industrialsuppliesaustralia.c...capacity-copy/
    Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 200k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 355k.

2014 NW Exceed, 40mm TJM lift, M&H catch can, EGR delete, Engine Watchdog

Comment

Why?

The shackles only have to be as strong as the chain, and most of those aren't too high in specifications. Its job is just to stop the front of the trailer hitting the ground and ball weight shouldn't be more than 300kg. So an 8mm rated shackle at 750kg has nearly 3x the rating you need - and that's just one of them. There are usually two.

$2.86 each at Bunnings.
      Chris

Comment

Over kill!
        Have a look at this thread, I did a deep dive on the requirements after I had a trailer uncouple and tested the safety chains.
        https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...l-do-they-work

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Yes it may be overkill but it makes hooking up easier.
          Cannot find the regs now but in Qld you can only run one shackle per tow chain and considering the location of the attachment holes on the NW this will make hooking up easier and in my book safer, as once hooked up the chain cannot come loose. No shackles to come loose.
          I have been running two shackles per safety chain (4 shackles cause 2 safety chains on the float), one permanently mounted to the towbar and done up so it can’t come loose and the safety chain hooks to this one with another shackle. Have been going to fit some hammer locks to be compliant, but this looks better.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 200k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Comment

Maybe these hooks are not the way to go.
            I think I will have to stick with the D shackles to be compliant in the worst case scenario.

Here is a response I got from a Qld supplier of towing equipment about the hook set up.

The laws for safety chains and shackles are set out in a 'worst case scenario' bases upon all points of the legal attachment. Basically, if the hook was to somehow pivot or the weight of the towed mass was to be forced upon any point of the shackle it would need to be able to withstand the immediate shock loading upon any given area. If the weight of the trailer was to be centralised upon the latch of these products it would likely fail - which is why I cannot recommend or see how this would be legal. Obviously, the likely hood of both hooks pivoting, and the forces being applied simultaneously to the latch's causing failure, is little to none. Nonetheless, it is a chance that is not given opportunity in the eyes of the regulators.

While many companies would be happy to sell a product that is convenient and would not likely fail, it is not a legal set up and therefore would advise against running such a set up. It is best to stick to dee or bow shackles with pin type systems for safety chains.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
              Maybe these hooks are not the way to go.
              I think I will have to stick with the D shackles to be compliant in the worst case scenario.

Here is a response I got from a Qld supplier of towing equipment about the hook set up.

The laws for safety chains and shackles are set out in a 'worst case scenario' bases upon all points of the legal attachment. Basically, if the hook was to somehow pivot or the weight of the towed mass was to be forced upon any point of the shackle it would need to be able to withstand the immediate shock loading upon any given area. If the weight of the trailer was to be centralised upon the latch of these products it would likely fail - which is why I cannot recommend or see how this would be legal. Obviously, the likely hood of both hooks pivoting, and the forces being applied simultaneously to the latch's causing failure, is little to none. Nonetheless, it is a chance that is not given opportunity in the eyes of the regulators.

While many companies would be happy to sell a product that is convenient and would not likely fail, it is not a legal set up and therefore would advise against running such a set up. It is best to stick to dee or bow shackles with pin type systems for safety chains.
              Wise advice from someone not interested in making a dollar from you.

Safety chains are meant to be short enough so the drawbar will not contact the ground in the event of the trailer decoupling or if the hitch receiver pin falls out and allowing the hitch to come away from the towbar. In many applications the design of the towbar safety chain attachments will not ensure this happens, the length of the hitch insert and the location of the safety chain attachments, result in the length of the safety chains being longer than the distance between the ground and the towbar safety chain attachment points. Have you checked your setup? I have in a real life decoupling and I am just ok with a lifted Challenger with a concealed towbar, and a short tongue/hitch insert.

It would make sense to have additional safety chain attachment points on the tow hitch, something like a 8mm thick x 50mm wide "U" shaped strap with holes for a shackle each side, and a 22mm hole in the middle so it can be attached by the towball, fitted between the towball and the top face of the tongue. Allowing an intermediate shackle to be secured partway along the length of the safety chain. This would mean the safety chain is short enough to retain the hitch in the receiver and also prevent to trailer coupling from contacting the ground in an event of the coupling failing.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

I didn't actually realise hooks were legal, my pajero i've added hammerlocks to fit the D-Shackles too.

Hammerloks are legal & D shackles are fine at about 1/4 of rated S.W.L.
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

[QUOTE

While many companies would be happy to sell a product that is convenient and would not likely fail, it is not a legal set up and therefore would advise against running such a set up. It is best to stick to d or bow shackles with pin type systems for safety chains.[/QUOTE]

D's for me!
                  Greg

Comment

Well I,ve put the hooks on and cannot see why would be illegal..Scooby...where is the law about these hooks being illegal. ?

I have a 2 tonne trailer. I have 2 hooks rated at 2 tonne each and 2 lengths of rated trailer chain (10mm). I have the hammerlocks fitted to the towbar holes. There is no way either chain can rest on the hooks lock mechanism. Actually I,d say high on impossible. I,m glad I,ve changed to the hooks as it is so much easier to slip the chain on. Before I had to kneel down, use a spanner to undo the d shackle bolt and disconnect chain ...then retighten the d shackle bolt. Hooks have more meat on them that the d shackles.

HOOKS...7/8mm-WLL 2000kg, Breaking 8000kg 10mm shackles are rated only for 1 tonne. You wont get any bigger to go through the tow bar holes....in affect I have almost doubled the load capacity of my safety chain set up....once again...show me where this is illegal.
                    Last edited by Dicko1; 4 days ago.
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
                    Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Comment

From Vic roads website, I know I’m not a Queenslander but it’s where you hale from so for me I’m sticking with my hooks.
                      Light Trailer Safety Chain Shackles

If you’re towing a trailer, you’re required to have a safety connection device on your car in addition to your normal tow coupling. This safety connection device acts as a backup if your tow coupling breaks or detaches from your vehicle.

Your safety connection device can be anything that connects your trailer with your towing vehicle including chains, cables, shackles, or any combination of these. The final point between the safety chain/cable and the towing vehicle is usually a D shackle.
                      Do I need a load-rated shackle to connect my safety chain/cable?

Whilst using a load-rated shackle isn’t mandatory, it’s a good idea to choose a shackle to suit your trailer and towing vehicle.

Suitable shackles include:
                      • shackles supplied as original equipment by the original vehicle manufacturer (e.g. Ford, Holden, Toyota etc.)
                      • shackles supplied by an original equipment tow bar manufacturer
                      • shackles that are rated and compliant with Australian Standard AS 2741 “Shackles” or other equivalent recognised standards AND the break load limit of the shackle is rated at least 1.5 times greater than the Aggregate Trailer Mass (ATM) of the trailer (see below for example).
                      Recommended shackle/trailer ratios
                      Shackle Rating (break load limit at least 1.5 times ATM) 1125 Kg
                      Shackle Rating (break load limit at least 1.5 times ATM) 1500 Kg

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                        Well I,ve put the hooks on and cannot see why would be illegal..Scooby...where is the law about these hooks being illegal. ?

I have a 2 tonne trailer. I have 2 hooks rated at 2 tonne each and 2 lengths of rated trailer chain (10mm). I have the hammerlocks fitted to the towbar holes. There is no way either chain can rest on the hooks lock mechanism. Actually I,d say high on impossible. I,m glad I,ve changed to the hooks as it is so much easier to slip the chain on. Before I had to kneel down, use a spanner to undo the d shackle bolt and disconnect chain ...then retighten the d shackle bolt. Hooks have more meat on them that the d shackles.

HOOKS...7/8mm-WLL 2000kg, Breaking 8000kg 10mm shackles are rated only for 1 tonne. You wont get any bigger to go through the tow bar holes....in affect I have almost doubled the load capacity of my safety chain set up....once again...show me where this is illegal.
                        Hi Dicko,

I cannot find where it is illegal.
                        I can only find where they only talk about D shackles.

.Safety chain(s) must be suitably and appropriately connected to a tow bar. The use of a shackle is permitted, provided the shackle used is fit for the purpose and compatible with the safety chain in terms of strength and size.

From here,

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/S...ide.pdf#page10

The information I posted earlier was from a towing supplier in Brisbane and their view of the hooks with a safety clip.

Not sure if they would view this type of hook differently. Attachment.

I want to use the hooks also as it makes hooking up easier and probably safer as once the chain is connected I cannot see how it could get out either.

But as per usual with the law, when things go pear shaped if you are in the gray areas you are still in trouble.

I was going to ask the RACQ for their input but haven’t got there yet.
                        Attached Files

Comment

RACQ do not have a technical department anymore.
                          Will try main roads and see if they respond?

Comment

The hook you have linked to is the same as the ones I fitted to my tow bar. Qld has no mention of a hook on their vehicle website. I use a lot of common sense when using/buying gear and by using 2 hooks rated at 4000kg between them with 8000kg breaking point per each one I reckon they will be a lot stronger than the d shackles i used. Fitting the hammer lock to the tow bar shackle holes means the hook opening is pointing straight at the trailer drawbar. . This in turn means that once the chain is coupled up it will only get a bigger part of the chain to bite onto in the event that the trailer connection fails...again highly unlikely with quality hitch. If you do buy them you will love how simple it is to put the chain on and off and know it is secure.
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
                            Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X