Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I upgrade to an aftermarket Transmission Cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I upgrade to an aftermarket Transmission Cooler?

Hi all,

We are planning a touring holiday mid next year. We'll be towing a 2014 19'6 Newage Manta Ray fully loaded sitting at a tad over 2500kg. The plan is to head over to SA then up to Darwin and back via Longreach, Bourke, Broken Hill, Swan Hill and home with all the usual sites in between (or something like that anyway). We're looking at around 8-9 weeks in total.

We've towed the van to and from Warrnambool, Bright, Philip Island etc with out a single drama, the car barely notices the van on the back.

My question is, should I install a larger / additional aftermarket transmission cooler just to be safe?

I usually tow either in Drive or drop it back to 4th depending on the conditions and how the Paj is handling it, so will probably just apply the same logic on the trip. Obviously, prior to going on the trip all of the mechanicals will be looked after, so while I still have a bit of time up my sleeve, I thought I'd get a general consensus from the group before walking blindly into my mechanic and asking the question.

The tug is a 2015 NX.

Thanks in advance
    ChrisS 2015 NX, Steel MM Bull Bar, 22" Stedi STK4 Light Bar, MM H/D Hitch

An ultra gauge is a good addition if you don’t have one, once set up for trans temps you can adjust your drivin and gear choices
    Rob

Comment

A van that size should always be towed in 4th but by far your best option is to fit AutoMate from MM4x4. An Ultragauge would be beneficial so you can keep an eye on the trans temp which will get very hot if you tow in Drive mode.

AutoMate will let you tow in 5th when conditions are right.

https://www.mm4x4.com.au/

I'm in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne too so if you want to check it out, let me know.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Tow in 4th and change your transmission oil if regularly towing in hot weather or hilly terrain. Transmission cooler isnt needed if you know how to keep your torque converter locked up - i.e by towing in 4th.

Comment

The Pajero already has 2 coolers from the factory, so no need to add more.

As mentioned, change the trans fluid regularly & ensure only the correct fluid is used. I would change it before a long trip like that if it hasn't been done recently.

Always use 4H when towing (refer placard on sunvisor).

Also, if you are going to be exploring off road on the trip (& who wouldn't?), think about tyres.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Just get the automate and all your towing issues will be gone
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
            Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Do you get the automate for the NS as well? Could only find from NT-NX

Comment

Originally posted by rodsfromday View Post
                Do you get the automate for the NS as well? Could only find from NT-NX
                No Auto Mate for the NS Pajero but Lockup Mate is available.
                Lockup Mate is the original and now entry level product, but you do get a lot of benefits from using it in conjunction with Sport/Manual gear shifting, it turns you slush box into a clutchless manual transmission.
                So you get reduced ATF temperatures, enhanced engine braking, lower engine operating temperatures, longer ATF service life and improved fuel economy.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

No Auto Mate for the NS Pajero but Lockup Mate is available.
                  Lockup Mate is the original and now entry level product, but you do get a lot of benefits from using it in conjunction with Sport/Manual gear shifting, it turns you slush box into a clutchless manual transmission.
                  So you get reduced ATF temperatures, enhanced engine braking, lower engine operating temperatures, longer ATF service life and improved fuel economy.

OJ.
                  Any specific reason for that? I recently installed a Hikeit Throte controller and very impressed. I also have the paddle shift mod so keen to see how that would work out.
                  Thnx OJ

Comment

Originally posted by rodsfromday View Post

Any specific reason for that? I recently installed a Hikeit Throte controller and very impressed. I also have the paddle shift mod so keen to see how that would work out.
                    Thnx OJ
                    Paddle shifters and Lockup Mate or Auto Mate used in Sport/Manual mode, totally transforms the drive experience.
                    You get to choose when to up and down change and get instant response with the torque convertor locked up, so you get enhanced engine braking and the ability to throttle steer.

I cannot remember the exact reason why Auto Mate is not available in the NS, but I think it has something to do with the combined Engine and AT ECU that controls the Jatco trans. The NT Pajero onwards has an Aisin auto and a separate AT ECU, so Lockup Mate, Auto Mate and Auto Mate Pro are available. The PB/PC Challenger and the MN Triton have the Jatco trans and a separate AT ECU and both Lockup Mate and Auto Mate are available.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X